Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
remember when...... >

remember when......

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

remember when......

Old 10-21-2010, 01:21 AM
Fork Horn

21 here i will get excited about a buck but dont get near as excited about does as i use to but i still love to watch them.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

Been hunting for over 10 years now, (not nearly as long as some of the "old Farts" on here.. Jk, love ya guys but hey, someone had to say it!) but every time I pick that bow up after I've made the decision in my mind to shoot, my heart races just like the 1st. Sometimes I wish it didn't, but what would be the thrill in that, that would just make me a deer slayer, not a hunter.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:56 AM
Typical Buck

43 here and I enjoy hunting as much as I did when I was a boy, but my heart doesn't race like it used to either. There are a couple exceptions...taking a bear still gives me the adrenaline shakes. I'm also teaching my 13 year old son to bow hunt. When we are sitting close together in our stands, even the sound of a chipmunk or squirrel rustling the leaves gets the ole ticker thumpin.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:18 AM
Typical Buck

I know what you're saying.

It's when I know I'm going to take a shot is when the heart gets pumping be it a doe or a "big ole goodin". It definitely pumps a whole lot harder on a "good ole biggun" though.

When I was younger, I would never shoot a doe but would fire away at any antlered buck. Now 20 years later, does are in trouble and all antlered bucks walk unless they're carrying their ticket to the taxidermist.

Boy how times have changed.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:50 AM
Spike

I was just thinking to same thing the other day. I miss that feeling to but now I get to watch my 11 y/o go through it.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

I think as we get older, we start calculating right from the minute we see the deer. How much time do I have? Can I move without being seen ? Does it have horns, and how big ? How far do I let him go ? Everything runs through our heads, we calculate, we act, get ready, and make the shot. When I was younger, I was like a balloon filled with air, then... let go , pppphhhhhhtttt. No thought, just react, and a lot of the time, not always reacted the right way. We learn from our own mistakes.
I'm always feeling excited when you see a deer cause your anticipating that the big boy's following her and ready to come into range any second. Problem is when they just appear, right next to ya, when you least expect it, and now it's decision time. Your expected to process all those answers in the blink of an eye. THAT's what's great about the sport, anything at any given moment.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

The moment I loose the excitement In seeing a deer or whatever animal I'm hunting Is the day I better hang It up.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

I still get excited after 30 years of hunting but not until I decide the deer I see is a shooter.

Today it is more of a thrill to have a deer out in front (Saturday a spike and a six point) and them not knowing I am there. As a kid all I cared about was shooting, the deer seeing me or not never crossed my mind. All I remember then was...NOW DAD, "wait"; NOW DAD, "wait", NOW......NOW...???????? "shoot"

The joys of being a kid........
Old 10-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep I know exactly what you are talking about, I don't seem to get nervse until after the shot or when I know I am going to shoot and watch the deer for a long time it takes some good deep breaths.. and I have been hunting fpr 36 years and yep if I ever loose that feeling I quit..
Old 10-21-2010, 01:53 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Schultzy
The moment I loose the excitement In seeing a deer or whatever animal I'm hunting Is the day I better hang It up.

I agree 110% if you loose the excitment of just seeing any deer or wildlife animal walk out in front of you then there is no need to be out there. I have been hunting since I was a kid and I still get excited to see anything that moves while I am on stand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.