Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 powder bottles for wind checking >

powder bottles for wind checking

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

powder bottles for wind checking

Old 07-14-2003, 07:22 AM
Typical Buck

Default powder bottles for wind checking

would like to know if anyone knows what kind of powder is in the wind checkers that they sell? seems awful expensive for a little bottle that could be used up on a hunt. thanks for the help.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:27 AM

Default RE: powder bottles for wind checking

I made my own out of an empty tinks 69 gel bottle, cleaned and dry of course and filled it with baking soda. It works great for me and cost only cents.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:34 AM

Unsented talcum powder,the kind u use for shooting pool.Wal-mart $3.99 big bottle,right next to the ballsThey all so have unsented baby powder.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:28 AM
Typical Buck

I bought flip top bottles from my local pharmacy and fillerd them with bakig soda. I have used it for more than 20 years and never had a problem using it . . . and it works great for my old eyes.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:42 AM

I bought the stuff from the store once, just for the bottle. I fill it with Baking Soda and it works well for me.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:49 AM

Elmer' s glue bottle and corn starch. Baking soda can cake up but corn starch won' t
Old 07-14-2003, 05:52 PM

I only use the wind floaters because you can really get a feel for what the wind is doing because the floaters keep going unitl they either hit the ground or get stuck in a tree. The wind around my area likes to swirl alot and sometimes in goes out a few feet and drops drastically to the ground and I would not know this if I used the powder.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do something a little different, and real inexpensive. I carry a simple piece of thread in my pocket, and pull it out when scouting to check the wind on possible stand sights. I also have a piece of thread tied to my bows stablizer to check the wind while hunting or in my stand.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Diddo same as buck alley. I use a piece of thread tied to my riser or stab, it will let you know instantly wind direction and even the lightest breeze will move the thread. I also tie it to trees in front of my satnd or ground location, so I can check it on a glance, without my bow in hand.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:30 PM

I' ve tried thread, and even tied a feather onto my bow....but I use a plain eye drop bottle with talcum powder in it now

Quick Reply: powder bottles for wind checking

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.