Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
what weirdest thing that has happen to you while hunting? >

what weirdest thing that has happen to you while hunting?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what weirdest thing that has happen to you while hunting?

Old 10-18-2010, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

Where to start. Shotgun season one year here in Illinois i was sitting in my stand when all of a sudden i hear something coming so i get ready had my gun resting on the railing and everything. I then see a glimpse of brown and i started to get that feeling when all of a sudden pops out a teenage kid wearing a brown pair of coveralls with no orange on what so ever. Kid about **** when he looked up to see a loaded gun pointing down on him. Hes lucky i make sure of what im shooting at before i actually shoot.

We farm in a sub division and we have a 26ac. woods on the outside of the sub division. Its just one of those woods where all the neighborhood kids go and hang out and build tree stands etc. Well i have a stand hung pretty close to 2 peoples back yards and on one evening hunt im sitting and i hear some walking i look behind me to see what it is and i see a girl and boy walking hand in hand. Lets just say they didnt know i was there and the guy got her shirt off before i let them know i was there. Ive also seen kids playing paintball and people walking there dogs through the woods. The deer are so used to people in the area that they dont really get bothered anymore.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:58 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jessetjames
two years ago on a evening hunt i was sitting in my tree and all of a sudden wack!! i look up and 2ft above me sits this owl. i just sit there shaking and scared to death hopping it doesn't see me spook and start tearing the crap out of me. I was like that for 5 minutes and then it just took off and flew away. that was one scary experiance but probably something that will never happen again.
I had nearly the identical experience last year, except the owl was probably about 5 feet higher, and on an adjacent tree. I wasn't that worried about him, however...they won't hurt you so no need to worry about them attacking you. If he mistook some movement for prey, he'd quickly discover his mistake and fly away. I was more concerned about scaring him away. He kind of noticed me, but then seemed to figure I was no threat to him. We both watched the woods together like a couple of hunting buddies! He sat there for nearly 20 minutes looking for prey before flying off right before dark. It was one of the coolest experiences I've had bow hunting: two predators hunting together.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

I had an owl land about 2-3 feet away on a branch about eye level about a week ago. One of the coolest things ive seen.
It only stayed for a couple of seconds
Old 10-19-2010, 06:29 PM
Typical Buck

Haven't seen anything that crazy yet, but I always carry my Glock 23 whether bow hunting or rifle hunting just in case.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

Last week I was sitting in my ground blind and a little grey tabby cat comes strolling down the hill and walked past my stand. I can hear the grass moving as it walks by and then the grass stops. A second later he jumps into the window of my ground blind. I jump, and he/she freaks out completely squeals and tears off up the hill.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

was bowhunting in P.A in 1998 . it was a evening hnt, and I was about 200 yards from a cut hay field in a large maple just shy of a big patch of pines. see several deer but nothing I wanted to shoot. just as its getting dark, something big is coming my way, its loud. and starts blowing at me! like a deer would, and its running in circles around me blowing at about 15 yards, I can only see a black object as big as a horse, its so dark by now. this lasted almost 5 minutes, then it went off. I climbed down and meet my friends , told them what happened , and they just laughed at me, I asked the landlord if any horses were lose, he said no, it was a elk.. I had no idea elk were in P.a .
Old 10-19-2010, 08:09 PM
Spike

These are some good stories.

Well I can't recall too many crazy things but I'm sure if I thought long enough I could. One night I had climbed out of my stand on the back part of our property probably about 1/2 mile from the old cabin on our property where we park at. No one else was hunting with me or on the property that night, just me. Well I had let it get absolutely pitch dark before coming down out of the stand and had forgotten my flashlight like an idiot. Luckily I knew the woods out there like the back of my hand so I wasn't worried. It is mainly fields with hardwoods mixed in. Well I'm about 500 yds from the cabin and the only thing left to navigate is about a 100 yd wide stretch of hardwoods that go straight up a hill and break out into the field with the cabin in it and truck

I started up the trail in the woods, pitch black with the trees there, and start hearing walking adjacent to me probably about 40-50yds away. I would walk 5 steps, it would walk 5 steps. Did this the whole way up the hardwoods. Really got my heart jumping for a little bit. Knew it didn't sound like a deer bc it would have run away. I have no idea what it was to this day. I did bolt a round into my gun though as I walked up the woods. It never did break out into the field after I cleared the woods so I don't know what it was. Weird.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:02 PM
Fork Horn

Another owl story:

I was 16 and just got permission to hunt a piece of property that was adjacent to my uncles land that I had always hunted. I hadn't scouted much except from areal photos I had, so I walked in there opening day of muzzle-loader season not really knowing where I was going to sit. I ended up at the bottom of this deep, thick draw in one of the few openings. Right before daylight an owl came and landed in the tree in front of me (I wasn't on stand, but was on a steep incline of the side of the hill) with something in its talons. It was too dark to tell, so I had to wait for daylight to see what it was. When it was light enough to see, I realized it was my uncles cat with its collar still on! I was about 1.5 miles from their house, in the middle of very dense woods and had their cat dead in the tree 5 yards from me. What the heck are the chances of that? I did end up shooting a very good buck that morning, so maybe it was a sign!
Old 10-19-2010, 09:30 PM
Fork Horn

I forgot about the owl I had one almost hit me in the head one morning that woke me up pretty fast good stories anyone else?
Old 10-20-2010, 09:45 AM
Typical Buck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kf6cHcc4KY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.