Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Starting to get frustrated. >

Starting to get frustrated.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Starting to get frustrated.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default Starting to get frustrated.

Well it's been about 3 weeks since the start of WI bow season, and in that time I've seen 5 deer in shooting range and another 2-3 that I had seen several nights taking the same route.

My trail cam was picking up pics normally from 2am-4am then usually from like 5:30-800am. Now suddenly I'm seeing NOTHING and the trail cam is picking them up from 10pm to 3am and that's it.

Now the land where I'm hunting right now is 13 acres (I know not much) and I have permission to retrieve my deer from the surrounding land owners, but I haven't asked to hunt the land.

Do you guys have any ideas? Attached is a picture of the land and a rough sketch out of the deer movement, from what I can figure from the deer I've seen and the trail cam.

Think I should wait it out and wait for the rut to start/ their patterns to change again or try and get permission to hunt the adjoining land?

Last edited by WI Bow Hunter; 10-17-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:32 PM
Spike

HAHA... Hey man I'm your neighbor!!!! NO kidding
Old 10-17-2010, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

The bucks are going to start running around in a few days, I'd wait it out.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

I would just wait it out as well -the harvest moon is all most here. After that they will start to move. GOOD LUCK TO YA!
Old 10-18-2010, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Happens every year about this time, full moon is on the 23rd so Wednesday, Thursday and Friday will be the best time to sit in the woods. You say bad news, I say good news. I would start rattling hard, your not going to see to many little ones but if there is a mature buck in the area he will come. Man I just love pre-rut!!!
Old 10-18-2010, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

I just picked up some scent for this season, I've got my grunt packed up, and my rattling bag somewhere. Guess I'll just wait it out and hit some other land that I haven't hunted yet this year.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:38 PM
Fork Horn

I cant really tell you what to do just by looking at a map, but to me it seems like the deer would be moving a little more to the south of your stand. Where that group of trees sticks out into the field a ways. I would maybe walk down there and look to see if there is any sign. If there is some, then throw your camera up on a well used trail and see whats going through there. Also if deer are coming out of that group of trees to feed in the evening then it looks like you could set up to the north west a ways and maybe find a staging area where they will hang out before going to eat. Just my two cents, and they might not be worth much as looking at a picture is a good way to understand your land but a hard way to figure out how to hunt it right. Good luck this season!
Old 10-19-2010, 08:47 AM
Typical Buck

Just wait it out, even take a few days off from hunting because a week from now will be a lot different. stabnslab says this coming weekend, but I think Halloween weekend will be better.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

Weathers been so darn goofy too. I'm going to give it a little there and may hit up some public land.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been at this a long time & it's the same "almost' every year. We all chomp at the bit to get out but other than a few "lucky" hunters most are going through your same deal. Our Muzzelloader is open so I'm waiting until toward end of next week. Bucks will be crusin & if you don't have a ton of does subject to rattling. I have seen no deer from 2 different stands & I definatly know there are plenty around. Good Luck.