Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Help!!!  Pulling my shot on deer... >

Help!!! Pulling my shot on deer...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help!!! Pulling my shot on deer...

Old 10-17-2010, 04:58 AM
  #1  
Typical Buck
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location:
Posts: 888
Default Help!!! Pulling my shot on deer...

It seems that everytime I shoot/Shoot at a deer I pull the shot high. Last year I shot over 2 deers backs, ths year I spined one. I practice pretty often and am a decent shot. I practice out to 70 yds (would never even think about shooting a deer that Far) just for practice only. But when I get a deer in range all that goes out the window, I cant even see my arrow when I shoot a deer. I think I am getting excited and I try to move my bow without allowing a good follow through. How can I fix this, targets im fine, deer I fudge it up.
killadoe is offline  
Old 10-17-2010, 05:42 AM
  #2  
Nontypical Buck
 
wallhangr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Wentzville, MO
Posts: 1,373
Default

Are you shooting at these deer out of a treestand? If so you are probably not bending at the waist to keep proper form.
wallhangr is offline  
Old 10-17-2010, 06:18 AM
  #3  
Typical Buck
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location:
Posts: 888
Default

Originally Posted by wallhangr View Post
Are you shooting at these deer out of a treestand? If so you are probably not bending at the waist to keep proper form.
yes out of a treestand,
killadoe is offline  
Old 10-17-2010, 06:20 AM
  #4  
Fork Horn
 
DDMPrecision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Upstate NY/Prescott AZ
Posts: 129
Default

Sounds to me like you're getting buck fever and anticipating the shot.
I would suggest two things to help alleviate this challenge -
One, aim a little lower to offset the jump you're experiencing.
Two, calm yourself down before the shot and concentrate on form.
It's obvious to me that you care substantially about being a responsible hunter, wanting a well placed shot to get a fast kill.
Take an extra, very quiet breath, before releasing your arrow. IT may help keep yourself on the mark.
DDMPrecision is offline  
Old 10-17-2010, 06:30 AM
  #5  
Fork Horn
 
onion721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: So. Indiana
Posts: 288
Default

When you bring the site window to bear on the animal, are you bringing the window down on the deer for pin placement, you follow me?

For instance I swing the site window from right to left on the animal, if I get punch happy I pull arrows to the right.
onion721 is offline  
Old 10-17-2010, 06:48 AM
  #6  
Fork Horn
 
kldad06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 201
Default

I suggest practicing out of a tree stand on a 3d target. The smaller target should help. And if you are practicing from the ground and then hunting from the air, your point of aim will be different. Just a thought.
kldad06 is offline  
Old 10-17-2010, 06:59 AM
  #7  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Warren, Pa
Posts: 299
Default

Another thing you might be doing is when you release the arrow, you may be pushing it instead of keeping your hand anchored at your face. When I first started shooting, I felt myself push my hand instead of just squeezing the trigger release. Also like what was stated above, make sure you are aiming through the peep sight. One problem my uncle used to have when he shot with a gun at a deer(he would get buck fever really bad) but he wouldnt necessarily look through the scope but point the gun at the deer if you know what I mean. You may be doing the same thing with the peep sight. Take a deep breath,aim and release.
aldo88 is offline  
Old 10-17-2010, 07:08 AM
  #8  
Typical Buck
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location:
Posts: 888
Default peep

Im for sure looking through my peep.. I do practice out of a stand, just not at a 3d target (I have in the past shot 3d out of a stand but not lately). I really believe that its my form, I think in the heat of the moment when My mind is focused on what the deer is doing I am forgetting the little things.. I think I need to slow down and think about whats going on.. I think im in too big of a hurry..
killadoe is offline  
Old 10-17-2010, 08:58 AM
  #9  
Spike
 
travis_ranger2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bedford, Indiana
Posts: 99
Default Shooting high.

Originally Posted by killadoe View Post
It seems that everytime I shoot/Shoot at a deer I pull the shot high. Last year I shot over 2 deers backs, ths year I spined one. I practice pretty often and am a decent shot. I practice out to 70 yds (would never even think about shooting a deer that Far) just for practice only. But when I get a deer in range all that goes out the window, I cant even see my arrow when I shoot a deer. I think I am getting excited and I try to move my bow without allowing a good follow through. How can I fix this, targets im fine, deer I fudge it up.
When you are target shooting,, do you bring your pin up on the target or down, and when your deer hunting are you bringing your pin up or down on the deer? The reason I ask, when I'm shooting targets or big bulls, I have sited my pins in coming up on the big bull, and when I try to bring it down on it,, I always shoot, high. So try bringing your pins up on your targets and bringing them up the deer leg to the vitals.
travis_ranger2000 is offline  
Old 10-17-2010, 09:09 AM
  #10  
Typical Buck
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location:
Posts: 888
Default

Originally Posted by travis_ranger2000 View Post
When you are target shooting,, do you bring your pin up on the target or down, and when your deer hunting are you bringing your pin up or down on the deer? The reason I ask, when I'm shooting targets or big bulls, I have sited my pins in coming up on the big bull, and when I try to bring it down on it,, I always shoot, high. So try bringing your pins up on your targets and bringing them up the deer leg to the vitals.
I bring my pins down.. I start above the deer and bring the pin down, same way with targets.. Do you think maybe I am rushing and shooting before I settle in. I think so. I hate making spine shot on a deer.. I will focus extra hard the next time I draw on one, and I will start practicing bringing the pin up rather than down.. Appreciate all the help guys..
killadoe is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.