HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Help!!! Pulling my shot on deer... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/332045-help-pulling-my-shot-deer.html)

killadoe 10-17-2010 03:58 AM

Help!!! Pulling my shot on deer...

It seems that everytime I shoot/Shoot at a deer I pull the shot high. Last year I shot over 2 deers backs, ths year I spined one. I practice pretty often and am a decent shot. I practice out to 70 yds (would never even think about shooting a deer that Far) just for practice only. But when I get a deer in range all that goes out the window, I cant even see my arrow when I shoot a deer. I think I am getting excited and I try to move my bow without allowing a good follow through. How can I fix this, targets im fine, deer I fudge it up.

wallhangr 10-17-2010 04:42 AM

Are you shooting at these deer out of a treestand? If so you are probably not bending at the waist to keep proper form.

killadoe 10-17-2010 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by wallhangr (Post 3703729)
Are you shooting at these deer out of a treestand? If so you are probably not bending at the waist to keep proper form.

yes out of a treestand,

DDMPrecision 10-17-2010 05:20 AM

Sounds to me like you're getting buck fever and anticipating the shot.
I would suggest two things to help alleviate this challenge -
One, aim a little lower to offset the jump you're experiencing.
Two, calm yourself down before the shot and concentrate on form.
It's obvious to me that you care substantially about being a responsible hunter, wanting a well placed shot to get a fast kill.
Take an extra, very quiet breath, before releasing your arrow. IT may help keep yourself on the mark.

onion721 10-17-2010 05:30 AM

When you bring the site window to bear on the animal, are you bringing the window down on the deer for pin placement, you follow me?

For instance I swing the site window from right to left on the animal, if I get punch happy I pull arrows to the right.

kldad06 10-17-2010 05:48 AM

I suggest practicing out of a tree stand on a 3d target. The smaller target should help. And if you are practicing from the ground and then hunting from the air, your point of aim will be different. Just a thought.

aldo88 10-17-2010 05:59 AM

Another thing you might be doing is when you release the arrow, you may be pushing it instead of keeping your hand anchored at your face. When I first started shooting, I felt myself push my hand instead of just squeezing the trigger release. Also like what was stated above, make sure you are aiming through the peep sight. One problem my uncle used to have when he shot with a gun at a deer(he would get buck fever really bad) but he wouldnt necessarily look through the scope but point the gun at the deer if you know what I mean. You may be doing the same thing with the peep sight. Take a deep breath,aim and release.

killadoe 10-17-2010 06:08 AM

peep

Im for sure looking through my peep.. I do practice out of a stand, just not at a 3d target (I have in the past shot 3d out of a stand but not lately). I really believe that its my form, I think in the heat of the moment when My mind is focused on what the deer is doing I am forgetting the little things.. I think I need to slow down and think about whats going on.. I think im in too big of a hurry..

travis_ranger2000 10-17-2010 07:58 AM

Shooting high.

Originally Posted by killadoe (Post 3703716)
It seems that everytime I shoot/Shoot at a deer I pull the shot high. Last year I shot over 2 deers backs, ths year I spined one. I practice pretty often and am a decent shot. I practice out to 70 yds (would never even think about shooting a deer that Far) just for practice only. But when I get a deer in range all that goes out the window, I cant even see my arrow when I shoot a deer. I think I am getting excited and I try to move my bow without allowing a good follow through. How can I fix this, targets im fine, deer I fudge it up.

When you are target shooting,, do you bring your pin up on the target or down, and when your deer hunting are you bringing your pin up or down on the deer? The reason I ask, when I'm shooting targets or big bulls, I have sited my pins in coming up on the big bull, and when I try to bring it down on it,, I always shoot, high. So try bringing your pins up on your targets and bringing them up the deer leg to the vitals.

killadoe 10-17-2010 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by travis_ranger2000 (Post 3703815)
When you are target shooting,, do you bring your pin up on the target or down, and when your deer hunting are you bringing your pin up or down on the deer? The reason I ask, when I'm shooting targets or big bulls, I have sited my pins in coming up on the big bull, and when I try to bring it down on it,, I always shoot, high. So try bringing your pins up on your targets and bringing them up the deer leg to the vitals.

I bring my pins down.. I start above the deer and bring the pin down, same way with targets.. Do you think maybe I am rushing and shooting before I settle in. I think so. I hate making spine shot on a deer.. I will focus extra hard the next time I draw on one, and I will start practicing bringing the pin up rather than down.. Appreciate all the help guys..

PY Antlers 10-17-2010 09:34 AM

I think your looking to see where your arrow hit or will hit before it fully leaves the bow.

travis_ranger2000 10-17-2010 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by killadoe (Post 3703820)
I bring my pins down.. I start above the deer and bring the pin down, same way with targets.. Do you think maybe I am rushing and shooting before I settle in. I think so. I hate making spine shot on a deer.. I will focus extra hard the next time I draw on one, and I will start practicing bringing the pin up rather than down.. Appreciate all the help guys..

Your odds may go up if you walk your pin up,, atleast if you prematurely shoot, the deer may drop into your arrow? Just a thought of mine!

sprintflyer 10-17-2010 12:28 PM

What rest? If it's a WB style it is contained for an extra milisecond. Try keeping the pin on the deer until you hear the "thud"

killadoe 10-17-2010 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by sprintflyer (Post 3703956)
What rest? If it's a WB style it is contained for an extra milisecond. Try keeping the pin on the deer until you hear the "thud"

Ultra rest..

bowhuntn87 10-17-2010 05:00 PM

i agree with the others that said to practice from a tree stand. you'll find that your point of impact is much different than on flat ground. when it comes to the shot... pick a single hair halfway up the body and right behind the shoulder, and focus all your attention and energy on it. aim small, miss small.

westcyderydin 10-17-2010 05:30 PM

how loud is your bow? how close are the deer when you are shooting at them?

there are 2 things that come to mind from what you are describing: the deer is jumping the string or is so close that your 20 yd pin shoots too high at 10 yards.

also, a 20 yard shot from a 18 foot high tree stand looks like more of a thirty yard shot because you are so far up in the air...but you have to measure the distance from the base of the tree to where the deer is to get the effective yardage. so if you over estimate the distance you will shoot over the deer.

estimating distance is the most underrated skill involved in deer hunting and is something that most ppl dont practice. most ppl shoot at premeasured distances that their pins are set at and then go out in the woods and cannot hit anything cuz they dont know how far their target is...

RIStrutStopper 10-17-2010 06:28 PM

Exactly what I was thinking. If you don't bend at the waist you will shoot high. You need to keep that "T" form as if you were shooting from the ground. If you drop your bow arm to put your pin on the deer instead of drawing as if you were shooting at something in front of you and then bending at the waist to put your pin on the deer, your form will be off and the arrow will go high. Practice from a tree stand and you'll see for yourself.

*twodogs* 10-18-2010 04:51 AM

More than likely this is your problem. Come to full draw straight out in front of you, then bend at the waist until the deer is in the sight window, don't drop your bow arm to get the deer in the sight.

killadoe 10-18-2010 05:16 AM

lots of good info guys, I really appreciate it. Im gonna shoot out of a tree when I get off work today. Again thanks for everything