Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Help!!!  Pulling my shot on deer... >

Help!!! Pulling my shot on deer...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help!!! Pulling my shot on deer...

Old 10-17-2010, 09:34 AM
Typical Buck

I think your looking to see where your arrow hit or will hit before it fully leaves the bow.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Spike

Cool

Originally Posted by killadoe
I bring my pins down.. I start above the deer and bring the pin down, same way with targets.. Do you think maybe I am rushing and shooting before I settle in. I think so. I hate making spine shot on a deer.. I will focus extra hard the next time I draw on one, and I will start practicing bringing the pin up rather than down.. Appreciate all the help guys..
Your odds may go up if you walk your pin up,, atleast if you prematurely shoot, the deer may drop into your arrow? Just a thought of mine!
Old 10-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

What rest? If it's a WB style it is contained for an extra milisecond. Try keeping the pin on the deer until you hear the "thud"
Old 10-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sprintflyer
What rest? If it's a WB style it is contained for an extra milisecond. Try keeping the pin on the deer until you hear the "thud"
Ultra rest..
Old 10-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Typical Buck

i agree with the others that said to practice from a tree stand. you'll find that your point of impact is much different than on flat ground. when it comes to the shot... pick a single hair halfway up the body and right behind the shoulder, and focus all your attention and energy on it. aim small, miss small.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

how loud is your bow? how close are the deer when you are shooting at them?

there are 2 things that come to mind from what you are describing: the deer is jumping the string or is so close that your 20 yd pin shoots too high at 10 yards.

also, a 20 yard shot from a 18 foot high tree stand looks like more of a thirty yard shot because you are so far up in the air...but you have to measure the distance from the base of the tree to where the deer is to get the effective yardage. so if you over estimate the distance you will shoot over the deer.

estimating distance is the most underrated skill involved in deer hunting and is something that most ppl dont practice. most ppl shoot at premeasured distances that their pins are set at and then go out in the woods and cannot hit anything cuz they dont know how far their target is...
Old 10-17-2010, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wallhangr
Are you shooting at these deer out of a treestand? If so you are probably not bending at the waist to keep proper form.
Exactly what I was thinking. If you don't bend at the waist you will shoot high. You need to keep that "T" form as if you were shooting from the ground. If you drop your bow arm to put your pin on the deer instead of drawing as if you were shooting at something in front of you and then bending at the waist to put your pin on the deer, your form will be off and the arrow will go high. Practice from a tree stand and you'll see for yourself.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:51 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by wallhangr
Are you shooting at these deer out of a treestand? If so you are probably not bending at the waist to keep proper form.
More than likely this is your problem. Come to full draw straight out in front of you, then bend at the waist until the deer is in the sight window, don't drop your bow arm to get the deer in the sight.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:16 AM
Typical Buck

lots of good info guys, I really appreciate it. Im gonna shoot out of a tree when I get off work today. Again thanks for everything