Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Help!!!  Pulling my shot on deer... >

Help!!! Pulling my shot on deer...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help!!! Pulling my shot on deer...

Old 10-17-2010, 03:58 AM
Typical Buck

Default Help!!! Pulling my shot on deer...

It seems that everytime I shoot/Shoot at a deer I pull the shot high. Last year I shot over 2 deers backs, ths year I spined one. I practice pretty often and am a decent shot. I practice out to 70 yds (would never even think about shooting a deer that Far) just for practice only. But when I get a deer in range all that goes out the window, I cant even see my arrow when I shoot a deer. I think I am getting excited and I try to move my bow without allowing a good follow through. How can I fix this, targets im fine, deer I fudge it up.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you shooting at these deer out of a treestand? If so you are probably not bending at the waist to keep proper form.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:18 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by wallhangr
Are you shooting at these deer out of a treestand? If so you are probably not bending at the waist to keep proper form.
yes out of a treestand,
Old 10-17-2010, 05:20 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds to me like you're getting buck fever and anticipating the shot.
I would suggest two things to help alleviate this challenge -
One, aim a little lower to offset the jump you're experiencing.
Two, calm yourself down before the shot and concentrate on form.
It's obvious to me that you care substantially about being a responsible hunter, wanting a well placed shot to get a fast kill.
Take an extra, very quiet breath, before releasing your arrow. IT may help keep yourself on the mark.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:30 AM
Fork Horn

When you bring the site window to bear on the animal, are you bringing the window down on the deer for pin placement, you follow me?

For instance I swing the site window from right to left on the animal, if I get punch happy I pull arrows to the right.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:48 AM
Fork Horn

I suggest practicing out of a tree stand on a 3d target. The smaller target should help. And if you are practicing from the ground and then hunting from the air, your point of aim will be different. Just a thought.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:59 AM
Fork Horn

Another thing you might be doing is when you release the arrow, you may be pushing it instead of keeping your hand anchored at your face. When I first started shooting, I felt myself push my hand instead of just squeezing the trigger release. Also like what was stated above, make sure you are aiming through the peep sight. One problem my uncle used to have when he shot with a gun at a deer(he would get buck fever really bad) but he wouldnt necessarily look through the scope but point the gun at the deer if you know what I mean. You may be doing the same thing with the peep sight. Take a deep breath,aim and release.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default peep

Im for sure looking through my peep.. I do practice out of a stand, just not at a 3d target (I have in the past shot 3d out of a stand but not lately). I really believe that its my form, I think in the heat of the moment when My mind is focused on what the deer is doing I am forgetting the little things.. I think I need to slow down and think about whats going on.. I think im in too big of a hurry..
Old 10-17-2010, 07:58 AM
Spike

Default Shooting high.

Originally Posted by killadoe
It seems that everytime I shoot/Shoot at a deer I pull the shot high. Last year I shot over 2 deers backs, ths year I spined one. I practice pretty often and am a decent shot. I practice out to 70 yds (would never even think about shooting a deer that Far) just for practice only. But when I get a deer in range all that goes out the window, I cant even see my arrow when I shoot a deer. I think I am getting excited and I try to move my bow without allowing a good follow through. How can I fix this, targets im fine, deer I fudge it up.
When you are target shooting,, do you bring your pin up on the target or down, and when your deer hunting are you bringing your pin up or down on the deer? The reason I ask, when I'm shooting targets or big bulls, I have sited my pins in coming up on the big bull, and when I try to bring it down on it,, I always shoot, high. So try bringing your pins up on your targets and bringing them up the deer leg to the vitals.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:09 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by travis_ranger2000
When you are target shooting,, do you bring your pin up on the target or down, and when your deer hunting are you bringing your pin up or down on the deer? The reason I ask, when I'm shooting targets or big bulls, I have sited my pins in coming up on the big bull, and when I try to bring it down on it,, I always shoot, high. So try bringing your pins up on your targets and bringing them up the deer leg to the vitals.
I bring my pins down.. I start above the deer and bring the pin down, same way with targets.. Do you think maybe I am rushing and shooting before I settle in. I think so. I hate making spine shot on a deer.. I will focus extra hard the next time I draw on one, and I will start practicing bringing the pin up rather than down.. Appreciate all the help guys..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.