HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   have you ever known a hunter that shouldnt be hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/331985-have-you-ever-known-hunter-shouldnt-hunting.html)

nwtrykon87 10-16-2010 07:35 AM

have you ever known a hunter that shouldnt be hunting

have any of you ever known a hunter that should not be allowed to hunt.. i have a close friend who ive hunted with for nearly 8 years now.. and ever since he started bow hunting i dont feel comfortable knowing hes in the woods.. i have some merit behind my judgement.. this year alone he has wounded 2 deer and a black bear while we were up in canada in september. he hit a buck last night that was severley quartering to him and he hit the shoulder square..he said he crushed it..i found his arrow with only blood to the broadhead..and we backed out.. Its not only this year that hes been bad.,,this is the history of his bow hunting career.. wound 4 kill 1..i am trying to find a way to make it so that if he wounds 1 he considers that tag used.. and hoping it will make him more aware that you cant just fling arrows and hope for the best

V8Ranger 10-16-2010 07:56 AM

who's property is he hunting on? Is it his, yours, or someone else's? There is a guy that hunts on the property I hunt on, but only a couple times during the season he will show up. He shoots at everything that walks by and he misses ALLOT also. I don't think he even practices with his bow before season starts, or gun for that matter. I have said something to the land owner, but its his ex step son, so I think he hates to tell him no. He did keep him away for one year. He wasn't there today. This guy, IMO, has no business hunting, he is not a safe hunter.
Your in a tough spot, he is your friend, so you don't want to ruffle the waters, but at the same point, he needs to be told that he needs to do better about his shooting. Its just not being an ethical hunter by wounding deer all the time. It will happen to us all, but to keep wounding that many deer, somethings wrong.....

Krypt Keeper 10-16-2010 08:29 AM

Yep afraid so,

wifes cousin who took a shot in the brush where he last saw a do run to.. first and last time hunting with me.

old co-worker who was scared of the dark. He and some family went to the mountains. He got back to the truck before anyone by about an hour, scared out of his mind that its getting dark and a mountain lion might get him. The truck was locked and they found him sitting there with his .45 drawn next to a small fire he made when they arrived.

nwtrykon87 10-16-2010 09:02 AM

its not that hes a bad shot..he practices all the time.. but im not him i cant tell you what goes through his head.. he hit a doe the same night i shot my buck..two different hunting areas.. his doe was at 15 yards and he uses lighted nocks.. and i asked him where he shot her and he says ..i have no idea ...how do you have no clue where u hit a deer at 15 yards.. his bow is only shooting 248fps.. its just frustrating to go and be a friend.. help him look for a deer ..that you find out it was a non lethal hit like last night..or worse to find out it was lethal but due to poor judgment we never find it.. as a bow hunter ..finding places to hunt is hard as it is.. but people like him make it harder..and last night was a duzzy cause he bolsterd on how the other guy that hunts that area shouldnt hunt there cause he cripples deer:mad::bash:

jerrrrstanley 10-16-2010 09:39 AM

A guy we used to hunt with had a Bristish .303 rifle. It was a 9 shots and he could make it sing all 9 like a semi auto. No scope just iron sights. He was a good shot but once he shot the first one the rest took off running he would shoot at them too. I don't know how many deer of his we found later with legs and such shot up suffering or dead.

Kybuckhunter 10-16-2010 06:11 PM

I would say about 25 percent would fit the bill....

dprsdhunter 10-16-2010 07:21 PM

know a guy who is affraid of the dark . Wont get in or out of a stand in the dark. I have known him not to look for a wounded deer cause it got dark as well.
I also have known him to numerous times shoot a deer and instead of giving th edeer time to lie down and die he imediately takes off after it.

my7pointmonster 10-16-2010 09:07 PM

In PA we have a lot of idiots, most of whom I wouldn't trust to commit suicide for fear they'd screw that up. In all seriousness you should just tell him hey bud maybe its not for you, I have a friend who gets real excited and misses a lot, but if your with him whispering stay calm stay calm its just a target, he'll 12 ring them every time.

All I can say is talk it out and if not then its time for a beat down.

Ryan.

Nalgi 10-16-2010 09:39 PM

why bother, if he doenst get it now he never will. Find a new partner, you'll be glad you did

signed,

been there, done that!

pearsontx4 10-18-2010 12:07 AM

i dont know these people personally but we have had a lot of trouble with them poaching i was putting a buddy of mine in a stand before day light and drove by the next field only a hundred or so yards away and there was a bunch of teenagers standing right by the road getting ready to duck hunt and when i drove by they shot at my truck as i drove by so i backed up with my shotgun pointing out of the window and had a little heart to heart talk with them and have never had a problem with them since