Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
have you ever known a hunter that shouldnt be hunting >

have you ever known a hunter that shouldnt be hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

have you ever known a hunter that shouldnt be hunting

Old 10-18-2010, 12:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by pearsontx4
i dont know these people personally but we have had a lot of trouble with them poaching i was putting a buddy of mine in a stand before day light and drove by the next field only a hundred or so yards away and there was a bunch of teenagers standing right by the road getting ready to duck hunt and when i drove by they shot at my truck as i drove by so i backed up with my shotgun pointing out of the window and had a little heart to heart talk with them and have never had a problem with them since

Old 10-18-2010, 01:09 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by nwtrykon87
its not that hes a bad shot..he practices all the time.. but im not him i cant tell you what goes through his head.. he hit a doe the same night i shot my buck..two different hunting areas.. his doe was at 15 yards and he uses lighted nocks.. and i asked him where he shot her and he says ..i have no idea ...how do you have no clue where u hit a deer at 15 yards.. his bow is only shooting 248fps.. its just frustrating to go and be a friend.. help him look for a deer ..that you find out it was a non lethal hit like last night..or worse to find out it was lethal but due to poor judgment we never find it.. as a bow hunter ..finding places to hunt is hard as it is.. but people like him make it harder..and last night was a duzzy cause he bolsterd on how the other guy that hunts that area shouldnt hunt there cause he cripples deer

I'd say he has buck fever and is closing his eyes right before he takes the shot.. I shoot 3-D and know a lot of ppl that do that same thing with foam targets.. Go out with him and take a camera and focus it on him and watch when he takes the shot to see if he is closing his eyes, slapping the trigger, or jumping.. When you see what you are doing that usually helps to fix the problem... Just my 2 cents
Old 10-18-2010, 01:11 AM
Fork Horn

from all what i have had happen to me while bow hunting that nothing really surprises me anymore like that. and i have had some weird stuff happen to me but that is one of the top ones i will start another thread and see what other people say too.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:41 AM
Fork Horn

We were doing a deer drive in southern MN. One guy shot a buck right through the sweet spot with his shotgun. My cousin then kept shooting the buck till he unloaded his gun.... then reloaded and shot the deer some more.... walked up to it and would you think he wouldnt shoot it or if it actually did need a shot(which it didnt) shoot it behind the front shoulder?? nope he shot the deer in the backstraps! we counted 9-10 entrance holes in the deer. The first guy shot once.... and yet when i went duck hunting with him he couldnt hit a thing and was very unsafe...
Old 10-18-2010, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

kind of like people that we all know that should not reproduce! Nothing you really can do about it unless you own the land they are hunting on!
Old 10-18-2010, 12:32 PM
Fork Horn

I regret the day I sold my bow to my neighbor. Never practices...is a flat out lousy shot. Thinks a 40 yard shot at a deer is the norm. The first year out he shot at a doe at 35 yards, hit it in the ham....happen to hit the femoral artery.

When I finally did rope him to go practice shooting he had a very tough time shooting within a 1-2 ft circle at 20 yards. Moved back to 30 yard and after about 10 shots he finally hit the 5" bull. He looks over at me and says....."DEAD DEER".

Later that weekend he proceeds to take a 40 plus yard shot on a nice buck and wounds it.

Unfortunately, he gun hunts the same way he bowhunts. Long long long shots with a 303 British with a piece of c%ap scope....lots of wounded deer.

I cut off contact with him this year because his "so what" attitude bothers me so much.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

Going through the exact same thing. My in-laws have a nieghbor who believes she is knows everything about hunting and wants to tell you about it. In the past three years she has wounded 13 deer and never recovered a single one. All 13 were young 6 points bucks or smaller.
Unfortunatley, she will not practice when other people are around and just wants to tell people how they should be hunting. All I ever hear is "I hit it perfect". I have been able find 6 of the half eaten carcusses a couple weeks after the hits.
However, she will not stop shooting at these young deer or believe that she is making unethical shot choices. What an absolute joke.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:05 PM
Fork Horn

I know a guy who bought a new bow two weeks before season opened shot it about three times,then friday nite before opening day shot a couple broadheads and says he's good to go? And he does this every year,he will shot a few arrows and tell me he's ready to go!
Old 10-18-2010, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default After so many years

you must be giving your friend some heavy encouragement.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:00 PM
Fork Horn

When I tell my neighbor that he shouldn't be shooting at deer past 15 to 20 yards...he says in a huff. Lee and Tiff shoot deer at 40 yards!

One thing I would like to do, but haven't yet, is to make up a steel plate with a hole the size of a pie plate. Then place it 30 yards away and say to him because you are so sure of your shooting skills.... you should't have any problem putting a $25 arrow through the center of the hole.

The guy is cheaper then cheap so I think it would really drive the point home.

Last edited by klundin2000; 10-18-2010 at 06:44 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.