HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Am I expecting too much? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/331896-am-i-expecting-too-much.html)

00svtlightning 10-14-2010 07:37 PM

Am I expecting too much?

I went out to sit in my stand this afternoon. When I got there I could smell something rotting as I was sitting there. After a couple hours I couldn't take it anymore so I was going to get down from my stand. I stood up and noticed that someone had hung a stand about 40 yds from mine. I hunt public land so I know it's not only mine but I couldn't imagine hanging a stand that close to someone elses.

I decided to call it a day and take my stand down so I could try and find another spot. I found what was rotting someone left a gut pile about 70 yds the other direction from my stand.

I guess the point of my rant is I guess I figure someone could at least drag their deer further from another's stand location before they gutted it. Also I always figured if someone already had a stand in a location before I got mine there it was their area to hunt. Maybe I'm expecting too much.

sconnyhunter 10-14-2010 07:52 PM

Under normal conditions, I too would do what you did and have the same expectations. However, not everyone has the same amount of decorum, and respect for others that you or I do. Your better off just doing what you did, move to another location and hope for the best.

SouthDakotaHunter 10-14-2010 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter (Post 3702595)
Under normal conditions, I too would do what you did and have the same expectations. However, not everyone has the same amount of decorum, and respect for others that you or I do. Your better off just doing what you did, move to another location and hope for the best.

I hear you... I've had many similar stories on public land... Number of years ago I had 3 teenagers come into the woods and actually hang a stand about 50 yards from me WHILE I was actually hunting... They continued to screw around for a long time, laughing, throwing sticks at each other even long after they knew I was there... I got down, and walked past them at about 5 yards and didn't even look at them....

Not saying the close stand is justified but it's possible that he didn't see your stand OR has been hunting that spot for years - which is hard - I just went out the other night to hang a stand and there was one 15 yards from one of my 'annual' stand sites- I ended up going about 100 yards in another direction (sometimes it's hard to go much further than that on a piece that's not that big)... I've had many stands show up within 50 yards of mine over the years and rarly do we seem to hunt at the same time so it may not end up being a huge deal...

woodyw333 10-14-2010 08:02 PM

No I dont think you are expecting too much but you have to remember that there are those people out there that dont care who they piss off or whos feet they step on. They are out there for one thing........ Theirself!! Karma is a bitch my friend, they will get it one day.... Thats my opinion

Jeffro_17 10-14-2010 08:10 PM

Whatever you do, don't get too discouraged. Public land is a great thing to have, but that's one of the downsides to it. You can't control what others do, so just don't let it bother you. Just move to another area and try it again. Good luck this year and I hope you can get a nice buck soon.

ek_buckmaster 10-14-2010 09:31 PM

I agree with what everyone is saying here! But like it was stated before, they may not have seen your stand. In that case I can understand and I'd be forgiving, but if they kept it there after seeing my stand I would be a little annoyed. I guess the best thing to do is move your stand and when you do hunt get in there as early as possible.

00svtlightning 10-14-2010 09:57 PM

My stand would be kind of hard to miss where it was. I was thinking about moving it anyway I guess this was just an excuse to get that done.

BIGBUCK17 10-14-2010 10:56 PM

i dont think your expecting to much but look at it this way at least they didnt take your stand.

itsslow98 10-15-2010 12:19 AM

IM suprised the gut pile lasted long enough to rot, those scavengers usually dont take too long to tear that stuff up. I know the last gut pile i left was gone by morning.

V8Ranger 10-15-2010 02:12 AM

I hope there never comes a day that I have to resort to hunting public land. You all are right, there are allot of inconsiderate people out there. You would think in the hunting community there would be less of it, but unfortunately theres not. Allot of the public land around me is hunted by out of state/town people, and they don't care who they piss off. They traveled a long way and they feel they have the right of way.... Maybe by moving your stand you will find a better spot where the big one is hiding and you can thank them for taking your spot....