HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Whisker Biscuit Questions (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/331838-whisker-biscuit-questions.html)

V8Ranger 10-14-2010 02:55 AM

Whisker Biscuit Questions

How many of you shoot with a whisker biscuit? I was thinking of getting one because every once and a while when I pull back the arrow jumps around on my fall away rest. Not to often though. But when hunting, and I'm hanging on to my bow, I knock it off the rest. How often do you have to change the whisker?? and how much does it affect the arrow speed and fletching??? I know its the wrong time of year to be changing my rest, but if I do it today, I have two days to practice before opening day Saturday...

ModestBuck 10-14-2010 03:30 AM

I personally use Trophy Taker's Shakey Hunter fall away rest. String operated. I have never had an arrow fall away and I am not the steadiest person. Cheap and reliable.

That is my recommendation...it is best of both worlds.

I found it on Cabelas Bargain Cave...here is the link...<$40
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Barga..._SEQ_105667380

My mistake...the bargain cave items is for LH only. I still recommend rest...$80

MISwampDog 10-14-2010 04:00 AM

i don't use one, but my father does. The rest contains your arrow well and the speed loss is minimul. However, I am leary of anything that comes in contact with your arrow or vanes. If you aren't shooting an ultra fast set up I would say use it. But remember the faster the bow the more fine tuned your bow has to be. With that in mind, I wouldn't want to take the chance of allowing your arrow or vanes to come in contact with your rest. my dad shoots a bear bow at around 240-250 fps. He doesn't have any problems. Now my bow shooting 300-310 fps I wouldn't trust it. I am lucky in a sense that my broadheads and field points fly identically. I attribute it to a drop away arrow rest. I wouldn't want to take the chance of messing that up. The longevity of the arrow rest will depend on how much you shoot. My dad has had the same one for close to 10 years. But he only shoots 50 arrows a season (practice and hunting combined). I may shoot 50 arrows in a practice session. If you get one, just keep an eye on it. And like you, i use to have my arrow fall off the rest alot. I taught myself to slow down on my draw. Maybe you are pulling too much weight. When you draw your bow you should be able to make one fluid motion and reach full draw. Im a strong guy and have shot bows that were set at 90 lbs. I could draw them, hold them, and shoot them. But, it was a test of strength to get them back and the motion was anything but smooth. My bow is set at 65 lbs and no problems. Always get a pass through too.

obsessed bowhunter 10-14-2010 04:21 AM

I don't think you can beat them as a hunting rest. That being said, I am shooting a drop away as well. I had some trouble tuning my broadheads a few years ago when I switched arrows. Turns out that the new arrows are a stiffer spine and that was causing the tuning problems. I've been thinking about going back to the WB this year but season is already underway. Most of my hunting buddies are shooting the WB and love them. IF you can get it tuned it would be hard to beat hunting.

V8Ranger 10-14-2010 04:39 AM

I am a lefty. My bow shoots about 300fps. I have no problems being able to pull my bow back smooth. Its set around 65lbs also. I don't have a problem with it falling off during pull back, the arrow is just a little wobbly during pull back. My problem is just mainly when I'm hanging onto it in my stand. I have a tendency to knock it off the rest once and a while. I haven't had it fall off yet when I'm drawing down on a deer, I just don't want that to happen. I got this bow 3 years ago and it came with a fall away rest. This was my first experience with one. I like the looks of this one. Looks like it will hold the arrow better and still not have contact with the fletching
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Tri-V...est/745478.uts

mgreen81 10-14-2010 05:15 AM

In my opinion they are awesome your arrow never falls off and it does not mess with speed or accuracy, at least not for me. I have had mine for at least 5 yrs and it is still in good condition. So its up to you and they make plenty of other good rest.

Krypt Keeper 10-14-2010 05:34 AM

I thought about going with one as my buddy loves his.

I had to be different so I use a Octane Hostage rest. I love it, you can turn the bow any direction and the arrow stays in place just like the WB

The Octane Hostage Pro has adjustable brushes on it, but also read of people just putting small washers on the regular Hostage top brushes to do the same thing.

I have read alot of people complaining about the brushes wearing out on them but mine looks the same as the day I bought it back in February and probably has close to a 1,000 shots on it if not more. Don't know if I am lucky or they have sandpaper coated arrows but mine works great. Just put one on my wifes bow this past weekend also. So I will have two of them to compare brush wear.

wallhangr 10-14-2010 05:50 AM

Have one on both my bows and love them. The only issue I've had is that I shot quite a bit before season started and my practice arrows had duravanes that started to rip. Since the fletchings had lasted 2 seasons it didn't bother me much to have them refletched.

ADVWannabee 10-14-2010 09:18 AM

I use it and love it. I don't know the name of it, but there is a rest that is made similar to the WB, but instead of having brushes all the way around, it just hast them in 3 points. That way the fetching doesn't hit the brushes. I don't feel that it affects the accuracy as I have robin hooded with mine and can put 2 arrows touching on occasion at 30 yards.

kldad06 10-14-2010 09:20 AM

I only use my bow for hunting purposes and I love my WB. I have used the same one for the past 3 years and have not replaced anything on it. It has been one of my better purchases.