Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Aluminum Arrows

Old 10-15-2010, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

i shoot easton xx78 2117 4 inch feathers with Heilical and pretty big offset
125 grain Muzzy 3 blade
out of a 2003 martin Prowler se at 60# 28 inch draw

makes for a 500 grain total arrow weight with a foc of 12.4
i use the muzzy just in case i hit front shoulder blade.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been in the game of Bowhunting 54 years & switched back in the 70s from wood, Fiberglass to Aluminum. Tried Carbons 5 years ago for 2 seasons-killed with them but never grouped as well as my Aluminums (cost more also) & did not get the penetration (same heads-same weight bow). Anyway, gave em to my son & went back to my XX75s. he loves em but did have 1 shatter on a Big Hog & another crack but not break. I shot through an Antelope this Aug. & used that same arrow for qulification in a "special" bowhunt & it's the one going to kill my deer this fall. Aluminums for me from now on...
Old 10-16-2010, 06:10 AM
Typical Buck

I use both. I shoot alum. out of my indoor target bow @ 50 lbs. Pse carbons for hunting. I have never found the carbons to group as well but it's such a small differance it is moot in a hunting set up to me. If I can only aford to miss by 2 inches then IMO I need to Wait for a better shot. With indoor and dots a couple inches may cost me the shoot. I can shoot 6 inch groups a 50 yards with hunting set up out of my short touchy Martin with carbons and 3 inch out of my long, tricked out, scoped High Country Machine Supreme with aluminum. How much is the arrow and how much is it in the bow? I don't know but the durabillity of carbon is worth it in the woods to me.

Last edited by sprintflyer; 10-16-2010 at 06:12 AM.