HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Dang gun hunters (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/331749-dang-gun-hunters.html)

sussexhunter 10-12-2010 03:49 PM

Dang gun hunters

I am so mad! I scout my spots way before bow season comes in. I hunt private land but it is small and so i started hunting state land. So both two weekends ago (shotgun for does only) and this week (muzzle loader) these guys are killing deer all over the place. I have been out over 20 times already. I am not a stupid hunter either. I dont mind people killing deer near where i hunt, it just frustrates me that i have done so much work and i know most of these guys one way or another through friends. They come out during gun season, sit in a state stand, and they smoke their cigs and eat their supper right there. Im leaving empty handed and they are filling their freezers. Am i wrong to be mad. Anyone else feel like this.

ryndisher 10-12-2010 04:02 PM

Nothing is stopping you from using a gun during gun season instead of a bow.

sussexhunter 10-12-2010 04:12 PM

Its not about that its just its almost like there not hunting. They have done nothing but get their license and dust off their guns. I know it is my choice to use a gun. I chose not to because i really enjoy the challenge of bow hunting. I have seen a lot of deer that i could have taken with a gun. I watch them walk by and i have no problem with that.

syrupman 10-12-2010 04:13 PM

if you cant beat 'em join 'em

sconnyhunter 10-12-2010 04:39 PM

You have made your decision. That's all there is too it. They have just as much "right" to do what they do as you do.

schester14 10-12-2010 04:42 PM

I know some of the state hunting lands in DE and they are just like the ones in MD. Trust me I am getting very frustrated over on my side of the state line as well. Just yesterday I was hunting in a bow only area of Fair Hill, MD. I was in my stand nice and early in an area that I had been scouting heavy and seeing a lot of action. Expecting to have a nice peaceful hunt to myself where my work paid off was the wrong answer. About a half hour after I got in the stand another guy sets up FIFTY yards from me. I was frustrated but let that go for awhile, because afterall....I am hunting public land. The tipping point was when I heard twigs breaking straight up a deer trail from me. I knew it was the time of evening the deer had been moving so I got excited and positioned myself to draw back when the time came. After about 5 minutes of adrenaline pumping and checking out the brush..........out pops a two-legged animal with a bow and no treestand. This guy was clearly walking around the woods just hoping to jump one right before dark. Like I said, I understand that I hunt public land. Unfortunately, it is the only opportunity I have. you would just think that some guys would have some type of hunting etiquette. A little different than your situation but I feel your pain brother.

sussexhunter 10-12-2010 04:45 PM

Been there done that too schester

Ed McDonald 10-12-2010 05:12 PM

How do you know whether or not they scouted the area for gun hunting ?

OkieOFT 10-12-2010 05:23 PM

It's just as much their right to be there with a gun as it is yours to be there with a bow. I bought a cheap old bow last year just so I could be out in the woods a bit longer than our two week gun season. If you want to bitch and moan about something then do it over poachers, not people that are doing the same legal thing that you are. No one forces you to stick to a bow. I take my bow to get out in nature, and possibly see a deer. Maybe kill it. I take my Howa 1500 .300 Win Mag to fill the freezer. It ain't a question of will I kill a deer, it's when.

Oh, and bowhunting IS my scouting for rifle season. Thank you very much.

Big Z 10-12-2010 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by sussexhunter (Post 3701074)
Am i wrong to be mad.

If you were really worried about your freezer or having a waaay better chance at getting about any deer you see, you'd grab the gun, same as most people. Bowhunting is about the challenge, the rush, and even the long seasons giving us bowhunters the time in the outdoors that we should be enjoying. Those many gun hunters aren't going to give up their enjoyment of their season, and their use of public land, (which is 3 months shorter than bow season here) to worry about the few bowhunters in the area. Bowhunting is not allowed during rifle season here so it isn't a problem (except crossbows are allowed with a firearm tag). But if it was, and I was hunting with my centerfire rifle on public land---I'd have no problem going out in a pink suit with a thermos of coffee and a box of donuts and doinking a deer 300 yards off and smiling at the people with bows.