Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Dang gun hunters >

Dang gun hunters

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dang gun hunters

Old 10-13-2010, 01:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I did not mean to jump on you. I also do not think you really wrong to be mad, I think it is more of a your mad because you ant killing deer and they are. I started off gun hunting when I started. Like you said no scouting, not work, no scent control, just drive around and find a spot. If their hunting the same area as you, either their scouting or just following you around. LOL

I think it is all buck fever and you will get easy with it when you drop a deer.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

Like I always say if you want to kill a deer use a rifle.
If you want to hunt a deer use a Bow.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:56 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 2 Samuel 22:35
Like I always say if you want to kill a deer use a rifle.
If you want to hunt a deer use a Bow.
I like that
Old 10-14-2010, 03:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
well here fer instance....we have 1000 public acres for gun or bow..but just an hour or two down the road, is a bow only public hunting lands that is 3000 acres..do yall not have these bow only areas?
I don't know of any "bow only" area's in NY state. Maybe down near the city, but I think in 99% of NY state there is nothing like that. They do have drawings in some parks and recreation areas that they only allow bow hunting. But they usually only allow a handful of people, 6 to 10 people. Its hard to get into those. Then you have to hunt from the ground....
Old 10-14-2010, 06:18 AM
Spike

Here in NC they run dogs during gun season, it can be a good thing for a still hunter or it can ruin a hunt. I have a couple of spots that I hunt on public land and I don't hunt it until gun season, between everyone driving around trying to stay ahead of the dogs and the dogs themselves it pushes deer my way. On the other hand at my inlaws where I hunt mostly their neighbors have 2 golden retreivers that bark non stop while they are outside the early season like now the deer pay them no mind but once gun season comes in the first bark they hear the deer are gone. Anyways my point is those other hunters you say are not "good" hunters use it to your advantage let them push the deer to you. Just my .02 you can keep the change.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Those who have suggested going into the thick areas are right. that's where the smarter, older (and hence bigger) bucks will likely go. If they've survived before by going there, they'll try it again. I'm like you, I hunt deer exclusively with a bow and I get worried that some of the ones I've targeted will be taken by gun hunters when the seasons open. I've seen several REALLY good bucks this year and I'm hoping to tag at least one of them before the early MZL season opens next week. I could have easily killed any of the big bucks I've seen with a gun, but it will be my choice to keep on trying with a bow. I understand the risks and I accept them.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:15 AM
Fork Horn

well i would also suggest moving into the really thick areas, not only for a better chance at seening a deer, but a better chance of not being shot by another hunter which all them gun hunters around.