HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Small tree rubs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/331740-small-tree-rubs.html)

jag-mag 10-12-2010 02:29 PM

Small tree rubs

Went to one of my stand sights, not to hunt just peek at
my stand and to see if anything is around. Five rubs on trees
with in 50 yards of my stand, I saw a small seven pointer out of this stand about 2 weeks ago.All of the rubs are on trees no bigger then 1 1/2 inches around. The small 7 making the rubs?
or is it possible its a bigger buck.Gonna hunt it as soon as we get
a northernly wind, and cools down, in the 80s today in WI, to
dang hot.

sussexhunter 10-12-2010 04:17 PM

I dont look at the size of the tree but the height of the rubs. Think about it like this, the taller the tines, the further up the tree the rub will be. Thats just my opinion from what i have seen. If bigger bucks rubbed bigger trees than you would see 50 year old trees rubbed to hell and know you have a trophy.

radlad31 10-13-2010 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by sussexhunter (Post 3701102)
I dont look at the size of the tree but the height of the rubs. Think about it like this, the taller the tines, the further up the tree the rub will be. Thats just my opinion from what i have seen. If bigger bucks rubbed bigger trees than you would see 50 year old trees rubbed to hell and know you have a trophy.

Agreed. It's more so the size and placement of the rub than the size of the tree itself. I've seen big bucks tear up little saplings that you would expect the smaller bucks to tackle. It's kinda like musky fishing...you can catch big fish on both large and small baits, but the smaller fish are less apt to go after the big baits. My best analogy I could come up with on a wednesday morning.

PY Antlers 10-13-2010 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by radlad31 (Post 3701414)
Agreed. It's more so the size and placement of the rub than the size of the tree itself. I've seen big bucks tear up little saplings that you would expect the smaller bucks to tackle. It's kinda like musky fishing...you can catch big fish on both large and small baits, but the smaller fish are less apt to go after the big baits. My best analogy I could come up with on a wednesday morning.

Thats a very good analogy

jasons8387 10-13-2010 10:26 AM

Im also interested in people's opinions about these rubs. I have a small 5 acre parcel I can hunt behind my home that is mostly bedding with tons of small shrubery type trees, that are small just like jag mag has described. There are literally probabl 15-20 rubs, all in very close proximity to each other. Also, just had planted a redwood tree about 4 feet tall in my backyard, and the deer has torn it to pieces and actually uprooted it. Im fairly new to bowhunting so Im interested in wether this could all be the same deer, or could it be multiple ones? Ive gotten pics of a small basket rack 4pt on my camera but it seems like alot of damage for just him to of done. Any thoughts?