Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Land owner issues >

Land owner issues

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Land owner issues

Old 10-13-2010, 04:14 AM
Fork Horn

cash rent is when you rent ground from other landowners and pay a set price per acre. Around my area it ranges from 95-180 an acre but the farther north in Illinois you go some guys are renting ground well over 200 and 300 dollars an acre. Pretty much like a lease.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:55 AM
bigcountry

The way we work on our hunting lease is the farmer can do whatever he pleases. This is usually how it works on the eastern shore. The hunters basically just have to work with it. And we actually sorta understand it.

The only issue we ever had, was in Dec. the farmer decided right in gun season to brush blade the sides of the fields. While hunters were in the trees on the sides of the fields. The cutter littlerly got 3 yards from one hunter. I thought it was freakin dangerous and didn't make sense.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

See thats another reason were trying to get done. Because gun season here in Illinois isnt to far off and we hate to be out there with slugs flying in every direction and we like to hunt to not only is it dangerous but alot of people gun hunt and we dont want to mess anyones hunting up. But we havent been able to please this guy or his friends who all hunt the ground. Last year they were mad an complaining because we didnt get the corn out until thanksgiving. Just cant please some people.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

That is ridiculous. Glad he's coming around. I just started hunting a 160 acre farm my neighbor leases to a big family farming operation. They just picked the beanfield near my blind a few weeks ago so I moved my blind. I never even considered talking to the farmers about if they could harvest their crops according to my hunting schedule! On a somewhat related question, I've read some guys will pay farmers to leave a small section of corn standing for a food source. I thought about this for the late season but is there a going rate for leaving a section of corn and do farmers even want to do that or is it a pain in the arse for them?
Old 10-13-2010, 09:05 PM
Typical Buck

Leaving some food source may or may not help. It all depends on how much other food source is available in the area. If it is corn, it seems to work best if it is square in shape of at least two or three acres. If you have a couple acres of standing corn near a water source, the deer may still hang around in the standing corn. The value of the corn in those two or three acres can be a good sum of money.

If there is a soybean field that has just been harvested, you may want to go to that area. Deer seem to like feeding in a soybean field that has just been combined. One thing deer do not like is crossing a field that has been plowed.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:21 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Country1. I am not looking to do that. I just read in a few places that leaving a few small strips of standing corn might help late season. Also, I do realize that about bean fields. I moved my blind about one week after it had been picked as I was only seeing does. I set up slightly sunk into a wooded island in the middle of ag land (1/2 picked beans on one side and 1/2 standing beans on the other). The 'island" has a creek running through it and is adjacent to a bedding area, from which deer trails stem into it and head out of it into the corn through the standing bean field. It looks like a cattle trail through the standing beans to the corn.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:35 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Down&OutHunting
Well we went in and got out about 67 ac. rain shut us down. Called him told him we would finish up when it dries up. He finally apologized tonight and said he fully understands and told us to cut the beans when we get the chance. This guy isnt a farmer and no one likes him he has an attitude and his ground will sit idle unless hes willing to cash rent his ground at a reasonable price.

perfect reason that cutting those beans when you did was the correct call. you were able to get 67ac out and then it rained. Depending on how much rain you got if it is anything like out here an inch of rain seems to be shutting people down for awhile due to all the flooding we had this summer. you might not have been able to get those beans out for awhile and you can never tell what the market is going to do from day to day. good call and kudos to you for just taking them out!