Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Its almost our turn NY >

Its almost our turn NY

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Its almost our turn NY

Old 10-17-2010, 12:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

WTG Styk, nice looking little buck..... The Doe and her two fawn I saw, they never would come back to the bleats. Its early, no sign of any rut activity here yet. I'm going to go back the the same stand I saw her at. I have them on my trail came coming by my stand almost every day. Lets just hope the wind dies down today.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:44 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah V8, I'm banking on the wind dying down too. I plan to hopefully cut that buck I saw with my bow the other day off as I'm going to sit a little closer to where I saw him. good luck to you, hopefully those does will give ya shot! :P, even better let a big one make a mistake and walk by ya!

Last edited by HardwoodHunter; 10-17-2010 at 01:46 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well no such luck at the doe today. She came in at the same time as yesterday, but today she saw my breath or something, Just as she was ready to walk out into the open, 5 more yards, something caught her eye and she looked right at me I wasn't moving a muscle. She started stomping her feet. Then she turned back to where she came from, still looking back, and up at me. Then I saw one of her fawns coming, thought maybe it would push her back down to me and break her concentration. Well she did come back, but she was still locked onto me. She blew, and took off I will have to go and sit in another stand now that she knows I'm there. Dam deer anyway.....
Old 10-17-2010, 02:25 PM
Typical Buck

my son shot a doe this morning. His first with a bow. I watched the whole thing from another stand 40 yards away. 5 yard shot and ran about 50 yards.
Attached Thumbnails Its almost our turn NY-scottys-doe.jpg  
Old 10-17-2010, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WNYhunter
my son shot a doe this morning. His first with a bow. I watched the whole thing from another stand 40 yards away. 5 yard shot and ran about 50 yards.
Thats AWESOME!!!! congrats to your son on his first bow kill.... Lots of first timers this year. Thats great to know there are still kids out there willing to follow in Dads foot steps. My hat is off to you Dads out there passing on a tradition
Old 10-17-2010, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WNYhunter
Sweet! even the doe looks happy
Old 10-19-2010, 01:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I got me a doe. This was an interesting hunt for sure. I hunted in the morning and didn't see anything. I sat by my corn, now, I could see 200 yards in either direction, and still didn't see a thing. So I went home, got my ground blind to get that set up. I got that all set up and went home. I only live 1/2 mile away. Figured I would go out for an afternoon hunt and sit in the blind. As I walk in past one of my other stands, I spook out a deer, didn't know if it was a buck or doe, all I got was flipped off by that big white tail. I went up to my blind, which was about 100 yards past that stand, sat in that a few minutes. It just didn't feel right. So I got out, and went down to that stand I just kicked that deer out from. I wasn't sitting there 30 min and she came back to eat some more apples. They love them crab apple. Last year we got a late spring frost and it killed all the buds, so there where no apples. This year there are allot of them. Saturday, I couldn't get a shot at her. Sunday, she busted me. Monday, I got her. I thought she was going to bust me again. A red squirrel must have seen me and made a bunch of squeak's and hauled ass. That got her attention. She looked my general direction, but never looked up. She was 25 yard broad side to me. Once she turned her head I pulled back, CRAP!!!! to many little branch's in the way. I had to move and bend into a different position to try and get a shot. I found one, I let the Muzzy fly. Much to my amazement, she dropped with there. I hit her in the spine. I just started trowing my stuff down to the ground, put my bow on the rope and let it down to the ground. Grabbed my bow and pack and went over to her. Tried to put another arrow in her, that didn't work out very well. So I had to cut her throat. She's about 1 1/2 year old. Not small, not big, just right for some good tender eaten. And some Jerky. I have never spined a deer, and I hope that never happens again. That is not a good fast clean, ethical kill. The cut in her chest is where I tried to stab her heart. Must be the way she was laying, my knife wasnt long enough to get at her heart. Here is a pic, dont want to break man law.....

Last edited by V8Ranger; 10-19-2010 at 01:48 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by V8Ranger
Well, I got me a doe. This was an interesting hunt for sure. I hunted in the morning and didn't see anything. I sat by my corn, now, I could see 200 yards in either direction, and still didn't see a thing. So I went home, got my ground blind to get that set up. I got that all set up and went home. I only live 1/2 mile away. Figured I would go out for an afternoon hunt and sit in the blind. As I walk in past one of my other stands, I spook out a deer, didn't know if it was a buck or doe, all I got was flipped off by that big white tail. I went up to my blind, which was about 100 yards past that stand, sat in that a few minutes. It just didn't feel right. So I got out, and went down to that stand I just kicked that deer out from. I wasn't sitting there 30 min and she came back to eat some more apples. They love them crab apple. Last year we got a late spring frost and it killed all the buds, so there where no apples. This year there are allot of them. Saturday, I couldn't get a shot at her. Sunday, she busted me. Monday, I got her. I thought she was going to bust me again. A red squirrel must have seen me and made a bunch of squeak's and hauled ass. That got her attention. She looked my general direction, but never looked up. She was 25 yard broad side to me. Once she turned her head I pulled back, CRAP!!!! to many little branch's in the way. I had to move and bend into a different position to try and get a shot. I found one, I let the Muzzy fly. Much to my amazement, she dropped with there. I hit her in the spine. I just started trowing my stuff down to the ground, put my bow on the rope and let it down to the ground. Grabbed my bow and pack and went over to her. Tried to put another arrow in her, that didn't work out very well. So I had to cut her throat. She's about 1 1/2 year old. Not small, not big, just right for some good tender eaten. And some Jerky. I have never spined a deer, and I hope that never happens again. That is not a good fast clean, ethical kill. The cut in her chest is where I tried to stab her heart. Must be the way she was laying, my knife wasnt long enough to get at her heart. Here is a pic, dont want to break man law.....
I had the same problem with my deer. Spined him then put another arrow through both lungs. Half hour later he was still alive. I did the same thing and cut his throat, which is why I didn't get any good pics. Too much blood.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

So i went out for an afternoon/evening hunt. Decided to go back to the stand I just shot my doe at. I went in and looked at where she was laying and there are tracks right through the blood. At about 5:30 a small 6 point come walking in. Stand's in the same exact spot the doe was standing when I shot her. At the time I thought he was just a little fork horn. So I wasn't even going to attempt to shot. I had to get into a weird position to shot that doe because of some branches. So I just watched him. Then he stepped out into the wide open. Saw he was a 6 point. I had the perfect shot, broad side 30 yards. I can shoot this in my sleep. Well turns out I cant. he was only out about 25 yards, and he did the old duck and run, and I shot right over his back..... Go figure. I can shoot them in the trees, but not in the wide open....lol....
Old 10-19-2010, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Comes with bowhunting. I use to really beat myself up but its gonna happen. Maybe he'll be back and you'll get him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.