Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Never been so disappointed in my life! >

Never been so disappointed in my life!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Never been so disappointed in my life!

Old 10-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Spike

Talking Never been so disappointed in my life!

Evening before last I got out for the first time this bow season here in Indiana, while walking in to my spot I jumped 4 deer knowing this is a hot spot went ahead and perched after sitting for a couple hours had 2 raccoons walk underneath my stand, the second one looked up at me and kept walking. As the sun went down and thinking ok nows the time I heard a grunting noise (thinking big buck),,, standing up (very brushy here) with release already on,, I kept hearing this noise,, by this time I'm thinking I have a hog in on me because bucks don't do this early season, ok hog I'm shooting,,,, and out steps 2 more raccoons! WTH, has this ever happen to anyone?
Old 10-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Spike

get used to it...the same happens to me when i hear that "crunch crunch" behind me. my heart starts jumping out of my chest, i clip my trigger-"ok...all the preparation...ITS GO TIME!!!"

and then a squirrel comes hopping along.haha
Old 10-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Fork Horn

I had a raccoon wobble on up to me withing 10 feet(I sit on the ground) I grabbed my camera phone snapped a shot(too dark). He looked at me, sniffed and scurried off. It was awesome.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard raccoons make all kinds of noises, but nothing like a grunt. I have one that I see regulary in the AM on his way back to his den tree.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:59 AM
Typical Buck

This past saturday evening I get to my spot and its warm. Grab my stuff and get to my stand. Get up to get seated and drop my gloves, climb down to retrieve, sit there and the sun is just beaming on me, thermocell runs out of fuel in the middle of sitting and the bugs start finding me, every few minutes planes are flying overhead which is not normal and make it impossible to hear anything, some guy starts cutting his grass at 6pm and must not have a muffler on it, prime time is coming and hear a crack, 30 yards away a tree falls sounding like a bomb just went off behind me.

I just pack up my stuff and walk to my truck, if it got any worse I wanted to be in the safety of my truck.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

In this other land I use to hunt, the land owner kept driving up in the woods to cut a hand full of wood..... Then one time he drove right past me in my stand. He stopped looked up at me, waved and drove off.... I was so mad..... He knew I was up there. I parked where he would drive by and see my truck. Knowing I was up there he drove up there anyway... The only time I could hunt up there and didn't have to worry about him was in the morning. I could never do evening hunts. Most of the time he would just come up there just to drive around. It was almost like he was looking for me.... Finally I just had to quit hunting there... I know it was his land and he had every right to do what ever he wanted, but man, come on, that was still un called for IMO.... He never cut his wood in advance for the winter, he always cut enough for a couple days. He drove me CRAZY!!!!
Old 10-11-2010, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Spending a lot of time in the woods, you will be able to tell the difference between a squirrel and deer. Im not saying it doesn't get my heart pumping once in awhile but sometimes you just know
Old 10-11-2010, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yup have been dealing with racoons here two. Had a racoon come in behind a 4pt and scare the crap out of him. The deer jumped like 6 ft and started blowing. Then he saw the coon and just kinda looked at him like I'm an idiot.

Krypt Keeper you would be surprised what noises and disruption deer tollerate. I have a bow stand 150yds from a house being built. Saw, hammers, earth movers you name it everyday. Deer still file by my stand.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:11 AM
Spike

Default This is funny!!!!

Originally Posted by Krypt Keeper
This past saturday evening I get to my spot and its warm. Grab my stuff and get to my stand. Get up to get seated and drop my gloves, climb down to retrieve, sit there and the sun is just beaming on me, thermocell runs out of fuel in the middle of sitting and the bugs start finding me, every few minutes planes are flying overhead which is not normal and make it impossible to hear anything, some guy starts cutting his grass at 6pm and must not have a muffler on it, prime time is coming and hear a crack, 30 yards away a tree falls sounding like a bomb just went off behind me.

I just pack up my stuff and walk to my truck, if it got any worse I wanted to be in the safety of my truck.
This made me laugh really hard. About 4 yrs ago I was in a tree about an hr before daylight (pitch dark), starting to dose off and a gust of wind came through and blew a big tree down right behind me, it scared me so bad I almost chit myself and jumped out of the tree. Sitting there in pitch dark, legs acheing and laughing at myself.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

raccoons and squirrels are your homies...
they set the deer at ease,
any movement or noise you make, the deer easily write off as a squirrel or coon, if they are in the area...
i was actually thinkin bout puttin a fake bird on my bow, and a raccoon foot cover er something on my foot.
i had a squirrel come down the tree i was in, and sit on my head...i heard him comin the whole time, but after about 3 seconds of him on my head i got the heeby geebies and swatted the sucker off lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.