Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

after darkness

Old 10-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Spike

Default after darkness

I was wondering what others do when shooting light ends and there are still deer around. Do you wait until the deer leave or pack up and risk spooking them? In VA where I hunt, half hour after sunset is as late as you can take a deer. If I decide not to shoot one that night what would be your thoughts on how to get out of the area with deer around?
Old 10-09-2010, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the deer can see me get out of my stand, I wait. I don't care if they see me walking across the field, they see me do that all the time, thats normal. But I don't want them to see me get out of a tree, thats not normal to them...
Old 10-10-2010, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wait until full dark to head out if there are still deer around. Walking and spooking deer is one thing, but them watching you get out of a tree is something entirely different IMO. For what amounts to a few extra minutes, just sit tight and let it get good and dark.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

Alarm snort like a deer. You are around a bunch of em so they won't know the difference. Has worked for me several times.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:41 AM
Typical Buck

I myself would stay in my tree stand untill i know there gone or it was so dark i could take my time getting out then walk out the long way by taken my time .Like others have said you don't want a deer seeing you getting down out of a tree .
Old 10-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Typical Buck

For sure! stay until your pretty sure there gone or at least wont see you get out of your tree
Old 10-10-2010, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

It doesn't always work, but I will bark like a dog to get rid of deer around me at the end of legal shooting time.

-fsh
Old 10-11-2010, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

I give a loud snort wheeze on the buck roar and after they all bolt I climb down from my tree.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

Bring a couple of rocks along. Throw them and then get out as soon as they leave. If you can't see deer, just get out as soon as you feel you can't shopt anymore. I agree with advice Bill Winke once gave via one of his articles, you do no good by staying after shooting light. Just get out asap as quietly as possible.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by V8Ranger
If the deer can see me get out of my stand, I wait. I don't care if they see me walking across the field, they see me do that all the time, thats normal. But I don't want them to see me get out of a tree, thats not normal to them...
A guy up here was summons for doing just that a couple of years back. They took his 4 wheeler and bow ect.. I do not know how he would of made out on that. He was fighting the charge but ended up dieing early because his Grandlake canoe was hit by a hard cross wind. They were salmon fishing when he drowned along with a friend of his. But, I would just the same becarefull of the advice to stay in the stand after legal hours..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.