HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Not passing threw....Any thoughts? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/331515-not-passing-threw-any-thoughts.html)

thunderchickenfrenzy 10-09-2010 07:15 AM

Not passing threw....Any thoughts?

I have been having a bad problem with not passing threw, I've shot 4 bucks less than 10 yards and have not had 1 complete pass threw!! And I've shot some 20-30yds and it seems to penetrate good but wont pass threw; I shoot a Bowtech General, Beman ICS Camhunt 500 (9.1 GPI), and I belive my draw length is 27 (my arms have grown another good 1/2in or so but I want to use my arrows i have now up because they will be too short if i extend my draw length, i still have almost a dozen and i still can shoot my bow comfortable), I shot 63lb draw and rage 3 blades. If you guys got and tips to help me start passing threw I would really appreciate it. Thanks

blakefrautschi 10-09-2010 07:19 AM

try a smaller broadhead, maybe even a fixed blade... fixed blade would give you much better penetration. alot of guys on here really like the slick tricks, i like thunderheads also.

and you didnt really say anything about your shots other than the distance.. are you shooting? the shoulder? what angle?

Ohio Bowhunter75 10-09-2010 07:23 AM

Either more draw weight, heavier arrows, or a smaller cutting diameter broadhead. You are shooting enough weight,a decent weight shaft. That leaves that 1 1/2 in cutting head helping to slow your arrow down. Just my thoughts.

LKNCHOPPERS 10-09-2010 07:42 AM

I'm no expert but it would be nice to know a little more about your setup. How much does your finished arrow weigh? How fast are you shooting with your hunting arrow?

If you want to get more penetration you will have to shoot a head with less resistance and stay away from the big bones. Ribs should not pose a problem but shoulders will stop an arrow. If you like the Rage heads go to the two blade they will give you more passthrus than the 3 blade.

halfbakedi420 10-09-2010 07:54 AM

saw a post about 2 blades not leaving a good blood trail..
hitting the shoulders, whether on the way in or the way out will not allow the arrow to exit each and every time....even if its a fixed blade.
i would try fer double lungers instead of the shoulders, as this is what i believe you are doing with what your saying, if ya want pass through..i know an arrow will kill even if it doesnt pass through.

LKNCHOPPERS 10-09-2010 08:45 AM

I would have to disagree about two blades not leaving a good blood trail. Most people don't get a good blood trail because they hit the animal too high and/or don't get a passthru. I have had the best blood trails I have seen with large two blade broadheads, a passthru and a carefully placed shot. I see a lot of people aim at the middle of the deer, drop their arm and hit high, than complain about no blood. "It's not the arrow it's the Indian".

BIGBUCK17 10-09-2010 08:55 AM

shoot a slick trick. that should guarantee a pass thru

2 Samuel 22:35 10-09-2010 10:44 AM

Rage is known for extremely impressive entry holes but they almost never pass through.
If you are shooting over 260 through the chrono. then you should get a pass-through with the right head.
Try a smaller head, like a fixed blade. Slick Trick would be my first choice.

stabnslab_WI 10-09-2010 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by LKNCHOPPERS (Post 3698901)
I would have to disagree about two blades not leaving a good blood trail. Most people don't get a good blood trail because they hit the animal too high and/or don't get a passthru. I have had the best blood trails I have seen with large two blade broadheads, a passthru and a carefully placed shot. I see a lot of people aim at the middle of the deer, drop their arm and hit high, than complain about no blood. "It's not the arrow it's the Indian".

Anything that leaves a 8 inch gash will leave a good blood trail. What are they going to come out with next. A buck guillotine like they have for turkeys. "Hey I shot a buck and its head fell off" i can see the posts already.

thunderchickenfrenzy 10-09-2010 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by LKNCHOPPERS (Post 3698878)
I'm no expert but it would be nice to know a little more about your setup. How much does your finished arrow weigh? How fast are you shooting with your hunting arrow?

If you want to get more penetration you will have to shoot a head with less resistance and stay away from the big bones. Ribs should not pose a problem but shoulders will stop an arrow. If you like the Rage heads go to the two blade they will give you more passthrus than the 3 blade.

I dont know exactly know what my hunting arrow weighs tricked out , but the last time I chrono'd it which was last year I belive it was shooting around 250-260