Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Not passing threw....Any thoughts? >

Not passing threw....Any thoughts?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Not passing threw....Any thoughts?

Old 10-22-2010, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds to me you dont have enough KE or you could slightly be out of tune. I had the same problem for a while before I tried a different broadhead. Then it was consistant passthroughs. Now with my new setup PSE Stinger NI and 2blade Rage I have no problems, of course Im shooting 100% pass throughs cuz I only shot one deer with it last year and it. Waiting to put down another one or 2 yet this year.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by thunderchickenfrenzy
I dont know exactly know what my hunting arrow weighs tricked out , but the last time I chrono'd it which was last year I belive it was shooting around 250-260
I'm going to assume that your arrows are in the 360-380gr range. 9.1gpi*26(assuming your arrows are cut about 26")=237gr shaft weight.
100gr tip weight
15gr in fletching(a good average unless your shooting feathers)
8 for the nock
10for the insert
370gr total arrow weight.
You said it chrono'd between 250-260
We will take 255

That puts you in the 54# of KE range.

That is one problem.

You are also underspined with that arrow, which will also yield loss of KE and make a pass through less likely.

If you went up in arrow weight(and shot the right spine of arrow) considerably, to say... a 450-500gr arrow or so you would have MUCH better chances of a clean pass through.

Going up in arrow weight will gain you both KE and Momentum.

Your trajectory will be worse, and your bow will be slower, but it will be quieter, more efficient, and it will be more likely to pass through a deer.

I havent read any of the other posts in this thread, but I will pretty much guarantee that if you take my advice for and go with a heavier arrow, you will see better results with ANY broadhead.

Its not the Rages fault, its yours(no offense, that sounds harsh, but its just how it works)

The only way you are going to make the current setup get a better chance of pass through is to go up in draw weight(which will weaken your dynamic spine making the arrow potential less), or shoot a smaller broadhead. Simple as that.

Last edited by drockw; 10-22-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ranger77
that shut all pro-Rage people up didn't it ?
NO B/C ITS NOT THE BROADHEAD's FAULT, ITS THE PEOPLE USING THEM!!!!

When are people going to learn to stop blaming the equipment, and spend less time talking about which bh is best etc, and spend some actual time to understand how stuff works, and the dynamics of the operation.

Arrow penetration is simply not as easy as which broadhead to use.

Ignorant people will achieve unknown results. Simple as that.

If customer A walks in and thinks rages look cool and buys them without any sort of knowledge of the topic, he is blindly doing the experimenting before the research. You dont do the test before you study! You do your homework first and theorize what will happen in certain situations.

This is life, and it seems like some people just arent that good at it
Old 10-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

so if I use an old rusty Satellite with dull blades sure as hell aint my fault when I don't get good penetration huh ?

you didn't watch a single video I posted did you ? those were GOOD shots - and ultra poor penetration - 1 common factor was they were using RAGE

the design sucks, they are horrible at penetration qualities - and that matters A LOT
Old 10-22-2010, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ranger77
so if I use an old rusty Satellite with dull blades sure as hell aint my fault when I don't get good penetration huh ?

you didn't watch a single video I posted did you ? those were GOOD shots - and ultra poor penetration - 1 common factor was they were using RAGE

the design sucks, they are horrible at penetration qualities - and that matters A LOT
No it would be because you are an idiot!!! Lol

That's the whole point... Reading comprehension not your strong point eh???

I've seen all the videos. I've seen tons of non pass throughs on good placed shots... The issue there is obvious lack of energy and momentum in the setup.

The broadhead is designed for large cutting diameter, not great penetration.

Now you could blame the broadhead design on mechanical failure no doubt!

This trend isn't going to change. Do you think the nap bloodrunner design is bad as well if someone doesn't get a pass through??? No. The broadhead is made for a large cut, and to be functional with the least amount of failure possible which also brings more resistance in to action due to the large ferrule...

If the bh deploys and functions as it should, then u can't blame the head for not getting a pass through. Consumers should educate themselves enough to have an idea of what affects are going to come from using certain things...

Btw, please explain why the design is faulty???
Old 10-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

I have only shot one deer with rage 2 blade and my dad has shot one. Dad shot through 2 ribs, clean cut completely through on the entry and nicked one on the exit side and still sunk up in the dirt 6 inches. Mine I hit 1 rib on the way in, cut completely through it, one blade hit the spine, cut completely through it, cut through 1 more rib on the exit side, AND hit the oppostie side shoulder. My arrow didn't burry up in the dirt though. But I don't see how there is a penetration issue with my rage 2 blades.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot Slick Tricks 125mag and shoot for the center of the Deer/Center punch him. That gives you a margin for slight error. Good Luck!!

Hatchet Jack
Old 10-22-2010, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ben / PA
Regardless of the "rage vs fixed" and "heavy vs lighter" issues in this thread, there are two things that are non negotiable if you want to have optimum performance out of you and your bow.

1. You draw length IS WHAT IT IS. Shooting longer or shorter that what your draw is will cause accuracy problems. In short, don't listen to the moron at the shop.

2. Properly matched arrows in a properly tuned bow, go a long way. If you are too stiff or too soft in spine, you aren't getting the most out of ANY setup. If your BHs aren't hitting with your FPs, something's not right, find it and fix it.

Good luck wading through the BS.
agree 100 % you need a bow that fits you , if it does not fit you your in for headaches , Mr nugets wife shoots a 25 inch bow at 45 lbs and has killed many african game animals with it , going to a bow that is longer on draw , and does not fit you , or is to heavy a poundage for you to shoot comfortably is a trap many archers put themselfs into , with negitive results .
Old 10-23-2010, 12:58 PM
Spike

Everybody wants to get in on the latest trend. Who's shooting what-Especially on TV. On most every shot I've seen on TV (with the Rage Broadhead) they blow a huge hole. But many times you see the deer running off with 6-8 inches of penatration. Most of the times, those tv shots show a pumping gash...along with the arrow still in. I'm sure some of the Rage shots pass through. I'm not sure they're designed to "need' to go through. Get a lung or liver shot with one, and it should be short tracking. I agree with earlier posts...if you want to blow one through and pick up a bloody arrow...screw on a Muzzy or your favorite fixed three blade.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:54 PM
Fork Horn

Ive killed 5 deer with the Rage two blades! Every one passed through and buried in the ground. On one occasion the arrow struck the opposite shoulder and still busted through it. The tip was not reusable, but it was effective. In my personal experience they have been extremely lethal and have passed through on every attempt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.