Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Not passing threw....Any thoughts? >

Not passing threw....Any thoughts?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Not passing threw....Any thoughts?

Old 10-21-2010, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye_5yExpjoQ

1:60 in this video ....... look at all the frickin arrow sticking out !
Old 10-21-2010, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

now are these dead deer?

sure they are - a butter knife dull Muzzy would penetrate the 6-8" these Rage heads are though too and kill these same deer, same shots just as well

my point is, look at how the penetration SUCKS - just absolutely HORRIBLE penetration
Old 10-21-2010, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

that shut all pro-Rage people up didn't it ?
Old 10-21-2010, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like it angled into bone. I've only had 1 shot not pass through with a Rage 2 blade; a hard quartering away entry just in front of the rear leg passed across the body and lodged in the opposite side front leg bone. Deer went about 30 feet and dropped over. All other shots were clean pass throughs up to 42 yards with a Mathews DXT 28" 64 pound draw, Rage 100 gr. 2 blades.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey, ya'll are saying how Rage heads outpenetrate all other heads, not me.

Yet, here are very good shots, on camera, and damn they're not getting 6-8" penetration.

That's very, VERY opposite of all Rage fanatics, isn't it?

I promise you had my 700 gr carbons and 220 gr Steel Force broadheads from a 160 fps recurve hit those same deer, same locations, I'd have blown through.

Why?

momentum - that's why

The Rage simply is designed to have horrible penetration qualities - as shown in these hits.

For giggles, someone can research Muzzy on-camera kill shots and show me the ones that only get 6-8" penetration

good luck finding one, and I'm not a Muzzy man !!
Old 10-21-2010, 12:03 PM
Fork Horn

Ranger77-

I am not a fan of the head, tried them once, never again. I agree with all that you say, just look at my setup below.

In the end though, people will shoot what they want, it's their money, right? At some point you have got to let the dead horse go........Rage is always going to have their fans and their haters. Life is too short to try and discredit the Rage marketing machine IMHO.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

Well put! Can't we all just get along? Rage broadheads all the way!
Old 10-22-2010, 04:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

twodogs -

Who started this thread and why? They're having penetration issues - most people do who shoot mechanical and they're baffled at why.

This is why - right here in this thread. If beating a dead horse keeps just one guy from losing a buck of a lifetime to mechanicals? its worth it
Old 10-22-2010, 07:31 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigbulls
#1. Your arrows are underspined so you probably aren't getting the best arrow flight possible. You should be shooting a 400 spined arrow. Give or sell the remaining arrows that you have and get the proper arrow.

#2. Rage broadheads are not known to be a good penetrating heads any way. They require a lot of energy to push those long blades through a deer. Shoot a moderate diameter fixed blade head like a Slick Trick standard, G5 montec, Magnus stinger, etc... and you will gt better penetration.

#3. Make sure that your bow is tuned as good as you can get it. If the arrow is not flying perfectly straight it is wasting energy correcting itself during flight and when it hits the animal it is wasting more energy as it is slapping side to side as it is penetrating the hole in the hide and bones on the entry side of the animal. This correlates to tip #1 above.
+1, Great answer... I'd add to it, but it pretty much covers it...
Old 10-22-2010, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Ranger77
twodogs -
If beating a dead horse keeps just one guy from losing a buck of a lifetime to mechanicals? its worth it
I don't think anyone assumes what the tip their arrow with will result in a lost deer because when people let an arrow fly they expect the POI to be right behind the shoulder.

That is the problem as I see it, if you make a marginal shot you run the risk of losing the deer, fixed blade or mechanical. A fixed blade will get more of the arrow through the deer on a poor shot (all things being equal) but you still run the risk of losing that deer.

I made a marginal shot on a deer with the Rage 2 blade. I recovered that deer but I didn't like the results after going through everything over and over so I went back to fixed blades.

A bad shot, regardless of the head is a bad shot. I think this is where the focus needs to be.

Finally, look at it a different way, some guys who use mechanicals feel they have an edge because they fly just like their field tips. If they are drilling the target with their field tips they will walk into the woods confident that their POI will be where the pin is set when the arrow flies.

I had to overcome this mental issue when I first started because I was not confident tuning my bow to get fixed blades hitting where my field points did. Not saying everyone shoots mechanicals for that reason, but I suspect there are a lot of hunters who just shoot during deer season and a mechanical will give these hunters more confidence than a fixed blade since their practice time is limited.

Last edited by *twodogs*; 10-22-2010 at 08:21 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.