Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Not passing threw....Any thoughts? >

Not passing threw....Any thoughts?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Not passing threw....Any thoughts?

Old 10-12-2010, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

id switch broadheads allso , magnus 2 blades or the more expensive stingers , if you must shoot a mechanical , vortex pro"s are an excelent design with 1 1/2 inches of cut , alot less demanding than the huge cut surface you are using ,

my avitar was a complete pass thru that stuck in the ground 6 inches , 1000 pound animal , at 25 yards , i shoot 60 lbs and 28 inches , was using g5 strikers , they come scarry sharp from the factory .
Old 10-12-2010, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

If your setup is what you say it's not the equipment its the shot placement
Old 10-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Fork Horn

The shots I have been making are about as good as it gets perfect double lung shots i just belive its my broadheads that is my problem, but everyone on here says they get really good pass throughs with 2blade rages, but I have heard you want to shoot a stronger bow to shoot the 2 blades
Old 10-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not a mech fan, but you need not replace any of your equipment except your arrows and you will be fine. The posts regarding your arrow spine nailed it. If your shot placement is what you say it is, that is your one and only problem.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Fork Horn

Quit shootin em in the shoulder aim behind it hahaha
Old 10-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Fork Horn

Kinetic energy! Do a little research find out what will work best with your setup to increase your KE. Be more selective on shot choices if you want a complete pass through straight up broadside shots are the best!
Old 10-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

Went by the bowshop today the guy told me that mostly it is my draw length; he said that I will get more penetration with a longer draw length and that the arrow will have alot more "punch" rather than raising my poundge, I ordered some heavier arrows (10GPI), and he said that with switching arrows and extending my draw length it will punch threw 9/10 deer if I make a good shot.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by thunderchickenfrenzy
Went by the bowshop today the guy told me that mostly it is my draw length; he said that I will get more penetration with a longer draw length and that the arrow will have alot more "punch" rather than raising my poundge, I ordered some heavier arrows (10GPI), and he said that with switching arrows and extending my draw length it will punch threw 9/10 deer if I make a good shot.
Increasing draw length will undoubtedly increase KE as the arrow speed will increase, but it's a bunch of BS in most cases because shooting too long a draw will probably cause accuracy issues with you. A ton of kinetic energy isn't worth a damn if you can't put it in the right place.

If draw length were an issue I would never have killed any of the deer I have. My draw length is 26 1/2" give or take a bit and I've shot clear through most of my deer with 315 grain arrows shooting as slow as 237 fps. If memory serves me right this produces about 39 ft/lbs of KE. Very seldom do my arrows not pass through. So anybody that tells you your problem is draw length has been smoking some very good weed.

Getting heavier arrows might help with momentum---if they are spined right and the bow is tuned to shoot them well. KE energy usually doesn't increase with a heavier arrow because the bow shoots it slower. However, the heavier arrow will have a little more momentum which might help.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BGfisher
So anybody that tells you your problem is draw length has been smoking some very good weed.

mannnnnnnnnnnnnn, i said nothing of the sort!!!!!
Old 10-17-2010, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Regardless of the "rage vs fixed" and "heavy vs lighter" issues in this thread, there are two things that are non negotiable if you want to have optimum performance out of you and your bow.

1. You draw length IS WHAT IT IS. Shooting longer or shorter that what your draw is will cause accuracy problems. In short, don't listen to the moron at the shop.

2. Properly matched arrows in a properly tuned bow, go a long way. If you are too stiff or too soft in spine, you aren't getting the most out of ANY setup. If your BHs aren't hitting with your FPs, something's not right, find it and fix it.

Good luck wading through the BS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.