Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Not passing threw....Any thoughts? >

Not passing threw....Any thoughts?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Not passing threw....Any thoughts?

Old 10-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Spike

I agree it's the tuning,, but I do not believe you have to retune your bow to bh's...Check your cam or wheel timing, and I am a believer in paper tuning at 10 yards or laser tuning your bow and do not grip the bow!!!!
Old 10-10-2010, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

IMO rages are great heads. But there is no way they penetrate nearly as well compared to a fixed head with a smaller cutting diameter. Watch bowmadness or any show where they shoot a ton of deer with rages. Even their speed bows dont get passthroughs all the time. If you want a passthrough as much as possible, a rage broadhead isn't the way to go IMO. But thats all it is, my opinion. I know from expierence that fixed heads in my bow, with the same arrow, penetrate MUCH better than a rage. I dont have a high speed set up, i'm shooting around 250 with a 402 grain arrow. Even with all of this, i wouldn't hesitate to shoot another deer with a rage. Even though i didn't get a pass through, it sure did the job.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

Arrow spine refer to the stiffness of the arrow and its ability to flex when launched off the string (dynamic spine). Your arrows are too weak. The arrow is flexing too much once it is leaving the string which is causing erratic arrow flight. I would not even bother to try and tune with a weak arrow because from shot to shot you are going to have a lot of variance.

You will see your groups tighten up when you match the correct arrow to your setup. Refer to Easton's arrow selection guide for help with this. As you move up in draw weight/length, you need a stiffer arrow so the arrow does not deflect too much when it leaves the string.

Last edited by *twodogs*; 10-11-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

it is NOT your bow

many, MANY 40-45 pound recurves and longbows pass through the deer they're shot with, and bear, and moose, and caribou etc

your compound has more power than those - so what is the difference?

you need more arrow weight and a COI broadhead = go to 10-12 grians per pound of draw weight and a 2 blade COI head like a SteelForce and you'll BLOW through the deer you shoot

I promise
Old 10-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by thunderchickenfrenzy
I see most everyone talking about the arrow being "spined" could someone tell me what that is?
Spine refers to the deflection (stiffness) of the arrow shaft. The shaft has to be stiff enough for the draw weight of the bow and the length of the arrow, point weight and a couple other minor things. If the arrow isn't SPINED stiff enough it'll bend too much coming out of the bow. As it bends the blades on the front turn slightly sideways to the arrows intended travel which causes it to plane off track. The arrow eventually straightens out with the help of the fletching, but depending on how UNDERSPINED it is it may take too long to recover. The result is an arrow that hits the animal partly sideways thus impeding penetration.

Does this help a little?
Old 10-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not trying to knock mechanicals, but, from what I've seen, they often fail to pass thru. Having a bow that is correctly tuned (TO YOU) and shooting a heavy/stiff enough arrow/broadhead combination into the kill zone should produce pass thrus nearly every time. My first bow shot a chronographed 173 fps and I shot thru dozens of deer with it before I upgraded.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Spike

I have shot 4 deer so far with rage 2 blades. Three have been complete pass thrus. The only one that did not I hit the deer in the spine. The rage opened completely and I could pull it out thru the other side of the spine with my fingers and that was thru the thickest part of the spine. Anyway they have beengreat heads for me so far. Have had no problem with durability or anything. Love them.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys for all the advice I'm really learning alot, I'm going to upgrade to a heavier arrow to get more penetration and I'm wanting to try some broadheads but once I get my bow dialed in good won't the broadheads fly different than my field points? I hope this will help solve my problem, do you guys have any thoughts on what else I should try when I go into the bow shop this week?
Old 10-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Fork Horn

Your broadheads may fly differently, but it is very easy to get them to fly to the same POI as your field tips. Just google easton tuning guide and it will show you everything you need to know. Its a very simple process. Good luck. Heck you can stick with the rages if you want. I killed a deer with my slow bow when it was set at 57lbs. It's all about shot placement. The deer bled out quick to. Still i think you would be better off with a fixed blade. But use whatever works for you, cuz in the end its not whats attached to your arrow, it's where you put it.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:53 AM
opg
Spike

shoot a cut on contact broadhead

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.