Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Not passing threw....Any thoughts? >

Not passing threw....Any thoughts?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Not passing threw....Any thoughts?

Old 10-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Big Bull most likely nailed it.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Spike

Sharp blades matter. Rage broadheads come very dull.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Fork Horn

I couldn't get a pass through with a rage 2 blade with my bow. I switched and never had a problem since. My first bow was a hoyt magnatec set at 50 pounds, and i got pass throughs. You are surely underspined though.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Fork Horn

So you guys think that its my arrow/broadhead and not my bow?
Old 10-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Fork Horn

Ive killed three deer this year with the 100 grain rage 2 and had the arrow pass through each time. All three were within 20 yards. One entered in front of the shoulder and exited midway the opposite side of the buck. It left a truely impressive gash. I definately had no problem finding a blood trail.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by thunderchickenfrenzy
So you guys think that its my arrow/broadhead and not my bow?
Certainly it's not the bow itself. Doesn't matter what bow it is. All any bow does is launch an arrow at a given velocity. Years ago a good compound launched an arrow about 200 fps. Today most will shoot 250 fps or more.

The bow makes no contact with the animal. The arrow's job is to deliver the SHARP broadhead into the animal with as much of that arrow's momentum as possible. To do this it must have as much of it's momentum driving the broadhead straight through. To fly straight the arrow must be properly spined and the bow.arrow combination tuned to do so. No fishtailing or porpoising.

Add to that a broadhead that is sharp and uses all the momentum possible. It's a well documented fact that mechanical heads use as much as 25% of the arrow's energy to pierce the hide and open up. Some more than others.

If you want the utmost penetration then fixed blade heads are still the way to go. And that means just about any good quality head---not somebody's favorite. Two, blade, three, four? It doesn't matter a whole lot so long as it is sharp and doesn't cause undo planing and goes where it's aimed.

Even then there are no guarantees, but with your 60+ lb. bow and a properly spined arrow, tuned well there is no reason you can't shoot any North American game let alone a little thin skinned deer and get pass throughs.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BGfisher
Certainly it's not the bow itself. Doesn't matter what bow it is. All any bow does is launch an arrow at a given velocity. Years ago a good compound launched an arrow about 200 fps. Today most will shoot 250 fps or more.

The bow makes no contact with the animal. The arrow's job is to deliver the SHARP broadhead into the animal with as much of that arrow's momentum as possible. To do this it must have as much of it's momentum driving the broadhead straight through. To fly straight the arrow must be properly spined and the bow.arrow combination tuned to do so. No fishtailing or porpoising.

Add to that a broadhead that is sharp and uses all the momentum possible. It's a well documented fact that mechanical heads use as much as 25% of the arrow's energy to pierce the hide and open up. Some more than others.

If you want the utmost penetration then fixed blade heads are still the way to go. And that means just about any good quality head---not somebody's favorite. Two, blade, three, four? It doesn't matter a whole lot so long as it is sharp and doesn't cause undo planing and goes where it's aimed.

Even then there are no guarantees, but with your 60+ lb. bow and a properly spined arrow, tuned well there is no reason you can't shoot any North American game let alone a little thin skinned deer and get pass throughs.
I see most everyone talking about the arrow being "spined" could someone tell me what that is?
Old 10-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Spike

Default passthroughs

I shoot a Hoyt Alphamax 63#s Carbon Express CX300 arrows and two blade Rage heads and have never had a problem with penetration on deer. Turkeys are a different story, but I would rather the arrow stay in a turkey anyway. I have to wonder if the person that said that Rage Broadheads were the worst penetrating broadheads on the market has ever shot them? Seems to be alot of bashing going on here and alot of promoting another brand of heads. Shoot what you want and support your fellow hunter without bashing their equipment. Also whoever said that Rage heads came from the factory "very dull" has never even held a Rage head in their hand, they are like razors and it would be stupid for a company to send out dull broadheads. Just because you don't like a certain piece of equipment does not mean it is acceptable to make up stories about them to try to sway a person in another direction.

Last edited by smacky; 10-10-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

#1 reason is tuning. You have not bh tuned your bow. You will need a fixed blade to do this. You are losing ke at the poi!
Old 10-10-2010, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 2 Samuel 22:35
Rage is known for extremely impressive entry holes but they almost never pass through.
If you are shooting over 260 through the chrono. then you should get a pass-through with the right head.
Try a smaller head, like a fixed blade. Slick Trick would be my first choice.
And you know this how? By shooting them yourselves? or by seeing a couple guys on here saying they're not getting passthroughs.

Seriously, this never getting a passthrough statement is getting old.

I'm shooting 260fps and I'm 5 for 5 with passthroughs shooting 2-blade Rage at mature (260-330lbs live weight) bucks from Iowa and Kansas and 2 of my buddies are a combined 6 for 7 with the same kind of deer with roughly the same set-up. That's 11 for 12 total not counting does.

See I've used them and know what they'll do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.