Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Not passing threw....Any thoughts? >

Not passing threw....Any thoughts?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Not passing threw....Any thoughts?

Old 10-09-2010, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by blakefrautschi
try a smaller broadhead, maybe even a fixed blade... fixed blade would give you much better penetration. alot of guys on here really like the slick tricks, i like thunderheads also.
and you didnt really say anything about your shots other than the distance.. are you shooting? the shoulder? what angle?
Heck yeah, got my dads bow out this year..an old PSE Strato-flite Express. I was worried about how old it was haha but heck, i didn't have the money this year to buy a new bow to get into bow hunting. Hopefully next year. Anyways, I shoot thunderheads...love 'em. shot a forkhorn earlier in the year...complete pass through, only ran 36 paces.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by blakefrautschi
try a smaller broadhead, maybe even a fixed blade... fixed blade would give you much better penetration. alot of guys on here really like the slick tricks, i like thunderheads also.

and you didnt really say anything about your shots other than the distance.. are you shooting? the shoulder? what angle?
No I have been fortunate enough to make really good shots all behind the shoulder except for my first good buck I shot at I jerked right when I shot and it hit the shoulder bone it didnt penetrate pass the bone I found my arrow 20yds from where I shot him, and I try to shoot them quartering away and broadside
Old 10-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

And I've shot some 20-30yds and it seems to penetrate good but wont pass threw; I shoot a Bowtech General, Beman ICS Camhunt 500 (9.1 GPI), and I belive my draw length is 27 (my arms have grown another good 1/2in or so but I want to use my arrows i have now up because they will be too short if i extend my draw length, i still have almost a dozen and i still can shoot my bow comfortable), I shot 63lb draw and rage 3 blades.
#1. Your arrows are underspined so you probably aren't getting the best arrow flight possible. You should be shooting a 400 spined arrow. Give or sell the remaining arrows that you have and get the proper arrow.

#2. Rage broadheads are not known to be a good penetrating heads any way. They require a lot of energy to push those long blades through a deer. Shoot a moderate diameter fixed blade head like a Slick Trick standard, G5 montec, Magnus stinger, etc... and you will gt better penetration.

#3. Make sure that your bow is tuned as good as you can get it. If the arrow is not flying perfectly straight it is wasting energy correcting itself during flight and when it hits the animal it is wasting more energy as it is slapping side to side as it is penetrating the hole in the hide and bones on the entry side of the animal. This correlates to tip #1 above.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I reaad all the other posts and didn't see one thing about arrow spine. It would seem to me that, accoding to your arrow specs, you are shooting a 500 spine. At least that's what you wrote.

If this is the case then it's just possible that your arrows are wagging around in flight due to being underspined. If so this would impeded pentration because the arrows momentum is not all behind the broadhead. In other words, the arrow may be entering the deer partly sideways.

You're shooting enough draw weight and the arrow is certainly heavy enough. Kinetic energy should be sufficient so this is the only plausible explanation as far as I'm concerned.

As an example, I have used setups producing as little as 39 ft/lbs of energy (316 gr arrow going 237fps) and shot clear through deer quartering away at almost a 45 degree angle. It's not always about how much power the bow produces. Shot placement and near perfect arrow flight mean a lot more.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Fork Horn

Arrows are too weak as bulls said above plus you are shooting rage heads which compounds the problem. Go to a 400 spine arrow and fixed blade head, problem solved once you tune your bow with the new arrows/heads.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

If two holes is what you seek, I would look no further than the Magnus Buzzcut.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:06 PM
Typical Buck

You put a Mayhem 250 on there tipped with a Montec you wont have any problems
Old 10-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

rage 3 blades

one of the worst penetration designs out there

you've got some weight behind your arrows - if you went to a 2 blade COI head, you'd blow through shoulder blades and STILL bury the arrows 6" into the ground on the other side

read Dr Ashby reports on www.tradgang.com

everyone should
Old 10-09-2010, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

reading the many reviews about rage.............it lacks penetrating power.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot 100 grain Muzzeys and I have had a pass through on all my deer but 1, and I hit him in the shoulder blade. Even my old bow at 60 pounds would pass through at 25 to 30 yards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.