Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Not passing threw....Any thoughts? >

Not passing threw....Any thoughts?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Not passing threw....Any thoughts?

Old 10-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

You really don't read very well.
untrue

I have never said that Rage will "outpenetrate" some of the heads you talked about. I did say:

1. I think it is a OVERALL better head than any fixed I ever shot.
When you consider flight, penetration, damage, blood trail, how quickly it can put an animal down, and the room for error you have with a 2" cutting diameter BH. (Please don't give me the shoulder shot because ALL BH's can have problems with this area).

flight isn't an issue with a well tuned bow
damage is done with maximum penetration
blood trails are best with maximum penetration and entry/exit holes
quickly putting down means maximum cutting/penetration

you don't want to discuss shoulder shots because Rage is horrible at penetration and actually a single bevel 2 blade will BREAK bone instead of cutting - true fact

Also, penetration is only one piece of the puzzle when it comes to a great BH.
100% false do NOT try and sell that crap here, bowhunters do NOT need to hear it !

a great broadhead is durable, it will never fail you, its ultra sharp, strong bladed and gives you maximum chance when an animal is shot with it

Rage fails to live up to ANY of that

How can 100,000's of bowhunters all be wrong? Why do so many of the bowhunters that do it for a living (TV people) use the Rage if there livlihood depended on it? Please don't say money because that is simply one manufacture that is paying to sponsor the show. It certainly wouldn't come close to paying all the bills.
tell me how Puckett's were sold to so many? HORRIBLE heads ... they sold man.

its gimmic and its marketed by those who know how to market

And these guys on tv can pretty much pick any BH manufacture to sponsor them and pay them but they choose the Rage. If they were losing/wounding all these animals they couldn't make a show. They only have so much time (hunting season) to get their kills in.
after watching Tiffany, I can tell you she loses a lot of animals, and so have you if you're shot Rage this long

I just don't understand why it is such a mission for some of you guys to continue the bashing of Rage heads when it has been proven out to be a very good head. Just like a lot of BH's out there.

ITS HORRIBLE - I have proven that to you simply by your avoidance to discuss it !

Why don't you simply talk/brag about what you think is a great BH and leave the bashing out of it.
because a lot of bowhunters wished they'd never spent their money and lost their deer to Rage - and how bad they are at penetration is something all bowhunters need to know

I am done with this thread. Good luck hunting!!
of course you are - you have nothing to stand on

tell me how many African animals have you taken with Rage? hmmm ?

the answer is none, African nations don't allow mechanicals !

Aren't there some states that STILL don't allow them for elk ?

why would that be?

BECUASE THEY SUCK at the one thing we, as bowhunters, strive for - PENETRATION and ENTRY and EXIT HOLES

Still no comments on those videos too huh?
Old 10-26-2010, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by thunderchickenfrenzy
Got my first pass threw today! I shot a little far back so I will go find her in the morning, it was only a doe but it was my first!
"Just a doe" can't stand that statement either! It's like if it ain't a big buck it's not as meaningful or that is how it comes across.

Any animal a person chooses to take should be getting the same respect as a 200" buck.

Again another knock against hunting shows!!!! They should be banned also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-26-2010, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

You may have only got a pass through because you could have just hit her in stomach? Doesn't take much to pass though when hit there.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by annika3
I Believe I answered your questions but you didn't answer mine. Talk about dancing?

If I got invited I would test out a few heads and go with the one that flies the best out of my setup.

Now how about answering my question. It's a simple question.

Which guy would you think has better knowledge of the head. A guy that has taken many does and 8 P&Y bucks with the head (Snypers/Rage) or a guy that has NEVER used the head?
I'd say the guy who is able to make an UNBIASED choice without having to interject his opinion on a product that he "claims" to have helped design, but that may or may not be my unbiased opinion.

"8 P&Y bucks" means very little to me, I've not killed a buck in several years as I have seen very few that would "qualify" to be on my wall. Access for me has waned over the last few years as some of the places I once hunted have been sold, or leased out from under me, so just because you may live in a good area and have good access, doesn't necessarily give you any more credibility.

From what I've read here, Ranger seems to have his head screwed on pretty straight, seems to have a little more varied experience, and he seems to have the best interest for the sport of BOWHUNTING at hand, while I see you (annika) ONLY here to push a product that you would appear (irregardless of your "claims" that you don't get any benefit, because this IS the INTERNET, and people LIE all the time here) to have a vested interest in, which would still only lead me to a$$ume that there is a monetary reward for your extreme level of "FANBOYISM!!!"

Honest??? Absolutely, like it or not, that's my very honest observation.

As a budget and results minded person, I've bought BH's that are good for multiple shots while also being extremely effective, for less than ONE pack of "your" Rages, I can get a pack of my BH's and a pack of extra blades, I have lost ONE BH while killing 11 animals, I still have enough extra blades for reloads on the remaining 2 of the 3 to reload them 3 times, while still being cheaper, and as effective, better penetrating, and more durable, than the product you push.

So what is the AVERAGE # of kills a "budget-minded" guy could get out of a 3 pack of rages (I say this because with the $35 I spent, you could only get one 3-pack of rages on average, no replacement blades, or extra heads, just ONE 3 pack)????
Old 10-27-2010, 07:08 AM
Typical Buck

I'm almost afraid to ask because this thread is kinda crazy right now! But I have to! I am shooting Gold Tip XT Hunters Crested 5575's. I think that they weigh about 300 grains. My Mathews bow is shooting 325-330 with a properly IBO weighted arrow. Are y'all saying that my 125 grain Rage 2 blade will not work because my arrow isn't heavy enough?
Old 10-27-2010, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

lovethebigguns

linear momentum is what drives your arrows through - the mass weight of an object means it will not shed its energy as quickly, design matters too because again, the loss in energy needed for penetration

to ansewr your question - your Rage will work fine on a perfect broadside shot, in fact any broadhead will, even a dull and rusty old Satellite will work fine because the thinner rib bones of deer coupled with the power of your compound will kill with about any setup you choose

but - and this is so very important - its the not so perfect shots that matter

you choose, as a bowhunter, to take the best shot you can

but you're super excited when a big buck comes in, he almost will never be 100% broadside and head down, a deer can always move at the sound of your shot, or even just as you release, there might always be an unseen branch, the distances often will be a few yards closer or farther away than you guess and then of course, you can always pull your shot a bit, punch instead of squeeze your release ...... there are a hell of a lot of factors involved, just go buy Real Tree 2011 dvd's and only about 1/2 of their shots are perfect and they do this for a living !

so, knowing that often shots aren't exactly where you want them to go, do you want a setup that is designed to give you maximum penetration, and will give you best chances when the shots don't go perfect, or are you happy using a setup that will only work on perfect shots ?

tradgang.com has all the Ashby reports - incredible knowledge there, and applicable in many ways to compound

now, I KNOW a single bevel, 2 blade tanto point head, heavy FOC arrow and small diameter shafts are the best penetrating combo for anybody. its fact, proven, undisputable

I'm not using that this year. Why? because in my current setup, a 64 pound compound, ICS 400 carbons with weight tubes - I have found a Slicj Trick RazorTrick to fly extremely well. I chose this head because its razor tipped, coi, heavy thick blades that are almost bomb proof in design. its a 4 blade head which WILL reduce my penetration - but I'm in the 550 gr total weight range, and I'm choosing this setup expecting to be in pretty good shape.

I'd never use a Rage or another mechanical head because the penetration qualities are just poor overall in design and functionalitiy. I've used them before, I've killed animals with them before, I've watched my buddy's lose deer to them to - I'm not unfamiliar with mechanicals or Rage heads at all - I'm just wiser than I use to be

did you watch the videos I posted? horrible penetration on pretty good shots -imagine if those shots were any worse ?

I want an entry and exit hole, a coi head that will break through bone if I hit and a total weight that will power my combination of arrow and head through the animals retaining as much energy on impact as it can.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would suggest using yellow carbon express weight tubes - they'll ass 80-100 grains to your total arrow weight then I'd go to a Slick Trick, a Muzzy or a Steel Force .... a good non-mechanical of your choice.

My uncle called me a few days ago and had shot and lost a big 8 point near St Charles MO. he was shooting 2215 arrows I think and 100 gr mechanicals. I told him what I'm telling everyone here - go heavier and fixed. He went to a 2219 shaft I think he said plus he went to 150 grain 3 blade fixed blade heads and yesterday afternoon, walking to his stand he had a buck walking towards him. He shoots the buck in the brisket, drops it down, it runs 30 yards and dies, he calls me on the cell phone and says he don't know where the arrows is and I told him to stick his finger inthe big hole and he says yep, the nock is right there !

nice 9 point, not a monster, one of the blades he said on the head was bent but dang, he shot through a brisket bone and got great penetration. He was shooting a cross bow

he went heavier, and fixed and his penetration issues dissappeared like magic
Old 10-27-2010, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lovethebigguns
I'm almost afraid to ask because this thread is kinda crazy right now! But I have to! I am shooting Gold Tip XT Hunters Crested 5575's. I think that they weigh about 300 grains. My Mathews bow is shooting 325-330 with a properly IBO weighted arrow. Are y'all saying that my 125 grain Rage 2 blade will not work because my arrow isn't heavy enough?
Okay, lets break this down.....

300gr arrows travel 325fps...... KE = 70ft/# of KE, and the ability to set your first pin at 30yds realistically, but also the bow will be significantly louder.

a 400gr arrow will travel about 290-295fps KE = 77ft/# and the ability to still have a first pin set at 25yds with no hold-over or under out to nearly 30 really (only about 2.4" low at thirty), you could realistically set your second pin at 35yds (about 6" difference between 25 and 30yds when zero'd for 25yds, and a third pin at 45yds as there is only about 7" drop between 35 and 45..... You gain tunability (especially with Fixed BH), energy (7ft/# of KE), and your bow would be quieter. These are close estimates, but the speed with the 400gr arrow may very well be HIGHER as most bows tend to become MORE EFFICIENT with heavier arrows as well, and you might find that with a 400gr arrow, the bow becomes quiter, more efficient, and rather than the "expected" 295 fps, you may end up still at 300fps, and gain even more energy than estimated!!!

Hope some of that helps, obviously, it becomes quite apparent who the guys are here to help other hunters/archers, and who is here to promote his product.......

Ranger,
I'd buy you a if I ever met you in person.....
Old 10-27-2010, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

MORE EFFICIENT
excellent choice of words

annika3 where are you? you realize by abandoning a thread and not answering the most obvious of questions, the wool over people eyes will be even more quickly removed to your Rage broadheads, right?

at least TRY to argue and hold on for a few more sales by misleading people, right ?
Old 10-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Typical Buck

Thunder, I wasn't trying to hijack your thread! I just thought it was the right time and place to ask. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question guys. What you are saying makes sense. And yes Ranger I did watch all the videos and I'll admit, I was perplexed by the lack of penetration. They all really looked like good shots.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.