Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Can You Guess What Broadhead Made This Hole? (Graphic) >

Can You Guess What Broadhead Made This Hole? (Graphic)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Can You Guess What Broadhead Made This Hole? (Graphic)

Old 10-11-2010, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talk is cheap and the "Proof Is In The Pudding". If you are hitting shoulder bones very often you probably need to set your accuracy goals higher and get out there and practice. A paper plate sized group at 20 yards doesn't cut it in my book, but you may qualify for camp cook.

The Rage is the Only Mechanical I have shot after being a strict fixed blade broadhead user for 31 years.

I base my statements on facts, not speculation like your rusty puckett or fieldpoint comment. A pencil sized hole doesn't give you much blood to track or cause as much hemorrhage. The basic principle bow hunting is based on, is HEMORRHAGE in case you didn't know. Out of the last nine deer I shot, 6 were shot with the Slick Trick 100 Magnums and the last three with Rage 2 Blades. The six with Slick Tricks left inconsistant blood trails and some did't pass thru, while the last three were shot with a Rage, all passing thru and good blood trails.

BTW: None were hit in the shoulder bone.

Shoot what you want and if you didn't like my post move to the next one or better yet read it and maybe you will learn something.

Make no mistake, the Rage 2 Blade is not for everyone, if you are not shooting a heavy enough arrow at a fast enough speed you will most likely have poor results. What works for one person does not work for someone with a different setup.

Originally Posted by Ranger77
nobody aims for shoulder bones, c'mon you know that, and you also know its common to hit them

its actually EASY to beat these heads, just (A) use a broadhead that cannot fail to open and (B) has much better penetration qualities

I submit any broadhead you would have shot with that hit you made would have resulted in very similar results.

I also submit you could have used a dull and rusty bladed Puckett's Bloodtrailer and killed the deer just as dead too ... I don't reccommend that, but it would have gotten the job done.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

Choppers,

Glade you like them. I tried the 2 blades a few years ago, took a buck with it, I was amazed at the gash it left in the animal. The shot did not pass through (cost me an arrow since he broke it off) but the blood trail was like I was in a slaughter house. The deer fell over within sight (40 yards). One blade was bent to heck, the other I could have reused but they are too hard to sharpen because they are so thin.

I don't care for the O-Rings on these heads, the blades deploy too easily as I was putting them in and out of my quiver, or even when it was nocked and resting on my stand, one good bump and the blades dropped down. Then you had to place the blade back on the O-Ring but move the O-Ring around so the two points dug in a different spot. I found myself looking at the head to make sure the blades were secure more often than I liked so I went back to a fixed blade.

Last edited by *twodogs*; 10-15-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by *twodogs*
Choppers,

Glade you like them. I tried the 2 blades a few years ago, took a buck with it, I was amazed at the gash it left in the animal. The shot did not pass through (cost me an arrow since he broke it off) but the blood trail was like I was in a slaughter house. The deer fell over within sight (40 yards). One blade was bent to heck, the other I could have reused but they are too hard to sharpen because they are so thin.

I don't care for the O-Rings on these heads, the blades deploy too easily as I was putting them in and out of my quiver, or even when it was knocked and resting on my stand, one good bump and the blades dropped down. Then you had to place the blade back on the O-Ring but move the O-Ring around so the two points dug in a different spot. I found myself looking at the head to make sure the blades were secure more often than I liked so I went back to a fixed blade.

I will agree with you on being careful about keeping the blades seated under the O-rings. I normally check them when I nock an arrow after I enter the stand. I'm pretty careful about bumping them and IMHO they are not great for spot and stalk weaving through the brush you are bound to deploy it. In a tree stand where I do 99% of my hunting they work for me.

I don't reuse broadheads after a kill, fixed blade or Rage, I sharpen and save a used head for a finishing shot. I don't want to blow a shot at a once in a life time Buck because I was cheap and didn't have the sharpest straightest broadhead on the end of my arrow.

Last edited by LKNCHOPPERS; 10-11-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talk is cheap and the "Proof Is In The Pudding". If you are hitting shoulder bones very often you probably need to set your accuracy goals higher and get out there and practice. A paper plate sized group at 20 yards doesn't cut it in my book, but you may qualify for camp cook.
whatver, in the real world of bowhunting, deer move, yardages are guessed wrong, unseen branches get in the way ... things happen. watch a RealTree video, only about 1/2 the shots are perfect

The Rage is the Only Mechanical I have shot after being a strict fixed blade broadhead user for 31 years.
good for you - you can legally shoot Puckett's too - that doesn't make them a good head

I base my statements on facts, not speculation like your rusty puckett or fieldpoint comment. A pencil sized hole doesn't give you much blood to track or cause as much hemorrhage. The basic principle bow hunting is based on, is HEMORRHAGE in case you didn't know.
do you know how many deer have died to pencil size holes in the ribs?

and you're exactly right - the more penetration you get, the more cutting your broadheads will do, a passthrough is the goal, meaning you got maximum penetration AND a good entry/exit hole for bloodtraining

this isn't my first rodeo, I've hunted and killed a lot of animals in a lot of different states

Out of the last nine deer I shot, 6 were shot with the Slick Trick 100 Magnums and the last three with Rage 2 Blades. The six with Slick Tricks left inconsistant blood trails and some did't pass thru, while the last three were shot with a Rage, all passing thru and good blood trails.

and you know where you hit those no-pass through shots too don't you ?

BTW: None were hit in the shoulder bone.

good - that's not a good place for an arrow to end up

Shoot what you want and if you didn't like my post move to the next one or better yet read it and maybe you will learn something.

I like this thread - all bowhunters need to read, and understand, that KE is a poor measurement in bowhunting, momenum is what the key is

Make no mistake, the Rage 2 Blade is not for everyone, if you are not shooting a heavy enough arrow at a fast enough speed you will most likely have poor results. What works for one person does not work for someone with a different setup.

but I don't understand? if its such a great broadhead, why put limitations on using it ?

I'll tell you why - because the penetraton qualities it possesses suck.
Its not COI, its blades are weak and thin. It can fail to open.

All these things make it unfit for a "low ke" bow to shoot? it makes it an unift head for ANYONE to shoot - the type bow you're shooting will never change the flaws that a Rage has and the laws of physics wont' change either

http://www.tradgang.com/ashby/

everyone needs to spend 30 minutes reading these
Old 10-11-2010, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by LKNCHOPPERS
I don't reuse broadheads after a kill, fixed blade or Rage, I sharpen and save a used head for a finishing shot. I don't want to blow a shot at a once in a life time Buck because I was cheap and didn't have the sharpest straightest broadhead on the end of my arrow.
Going to have to disagree with you on this one.....resharpening in my mind is not cheap, it makes perfect sense. I can get most blades as sharp or sharper than the edge it ships with. You place your trust in the blades as packaged, I don't, I'll test them and if they are not up to snuff out comes my broadhead sharpener.

Yes, if you shoot Rage, you are pretty much forced into buying a new head for each animal. Fixed blades are a whole different ball game in terms of durability and the ability to take on a scary sharp edge IMO.

Last edited by *twodogs*; 10-11-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

Wow all this just by trying to guess what blade was used. I have used several types and I like the Rage 2 blade. I have tried the Rage 3 blade and wasnt really sold on them. It basically comes down to each their own. Btw I use a Parker and in my opinion it is perfect for me. However, some of you might say Parker sucks. Once again I say, to each their own.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

.... it is hard to beat these heads for leaving a good blood trail and getting a passthru.
Not really, just get a Slick Trick Magnum, and see what it does.....

I've put two separate Slick Tricks through 5 and 6 animals respectively, not blade changes, just re-sharpened them. Lost the one blowing through animal #6 in the brush in he mountains in Colorado.... No big deal, I got my $8 use out of it. #2 BH has been through 5 animals, and is on an arrow right now waiting for an opportunity at #6.... How many Rage's cost $8 and can got through more than 4 animals an never need a blade change???

I had to do it....this doe was animal #5 on the aforementioned lost BH....she ran almost 50yds and stopped and looked around as if she never knew she'd been hit....

And this doe was #5 on the other Broadhead still ready to work....

And here was the bloodtrail....

Last edited by OHbowhntr; 10-11-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

Rage 2 without a doubt!
Old 10-11-2010, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Ranger77
Rage 2 blade

Thank goodness you didn't hit anything solid - like bone. If you did you didn't get passthrough most likely

One of the worst designed heads for penetration - fact
Is that why I'm 5 for 5 on passthroughs shooting 260 fps on mature Kansas and Iowa bucks (260-330lbs live weight).

2 of my friends are 6 for 7 shooting roughly the same speed on mature bucks.

That is 11 for 12!! Penetration problems? I don't think so!

By the way, have you ever shot the head?
Old 10-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Fork Horn

Not everyone is shooting 260....Sorry, but a fixed head always penetrates better than a rage. I have used them, and like them. But for some setups, its just a terrible option. I hit a rib on the way in and that's it. No pass through. I' was shooting 242 with a 405 grain arrow. If i had a muzzy, magnus, any other fixed blade on i would have got a full pass through. Not knocking them as the deer i did shoot with one sure died quick. I'm looking for a new faster bow for next season. They are great for turkeys. If i had the KE and the money, i would use them next year. But why when there are so many other cheaper , shoot as straight broadheads out there?? I hate their commercial. Expand your killzone. HA!. That is laughable at best. Really if you ask me you kinda make it smaller. Shoulder shots happen, with a rage i don't think your killing unless your shooting an extremely powerful bow. I watched my uncle hit a deer in the shoulder with a 60 pound martin cheetah at 15 yards. The thunderhead he had did the job. A rage would fail. Not saying its not possible with alot more KE, but a rage sure as heck wouldn't have at 60lbs. Just my opinion. Like i said not knocking them, but i honestly think you get alot more for your money with many other heads. It costs alot of money to pay every celebrity hunter to say how awesome they are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.