HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Stupid question: (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/331461-stupid-question.html)

Troop 10-08-2010 11:57 AM

Stupid question:

Is the new Z7 as smooth and as easy to shoot as the older Q2 model?

I purchased the Mathews Q2 model back in '01 - was smooth, consistent...etc., everything I wanted in a bow.

After 3 years, I jumped on the 'speed' bandwagon and bought a Bowtech Extreme VFT. At first, I had problems pulling this bow back, but after I got used to it, it had absolutely no handshock whatsoever. One issue I had was that it felt like it wanted to jump out of your hand at full draw. After 2 years, one of the limbs cracked and after dealing with the customer service (which was an undesirable experience), I had limbs replaced. The bow was never the same again. I went back to the Mathews.

I then bought a High Country Speed Pro. This bow was a beauty, was lightweight, and had blazing speed. It was a loud bow (or should I say, louder than the bowtech and mathews I had). I could never tune this bow no matter how hard I tried. I brought it to different technicians and we could never get it right. I got rid of it. Again, I went back to my Mathews Q2.

I shot the Mathews DXT and Reezen and was not impressed by either. I was surprised how loud and jumpy they were.

Recently, I have read good things about the Hoyt Maxxis and the Mathews Z7 but have not gotten off my behind to test either of them.

Rhody Hunter 10-08-2010 12:09 PM

you need to go try them both and find out first hand if it is what you are looking for

Troop 10-08-2010 12:21 PM

Yeah, I understand I need to go and check them out for myself. I'm just looking for people who may have had the older model mathews to comment if the new Z7 is as smooth as some of those.

BIGBUCK17 10-08-2010 04:39 PM

as far as the z7 goes it is a very nice bow. It is very smooth and dead in the hand. It feels like my drenalin i had, which i loved that bow because of how smooth and quiet it was, but the z7 shoots 10+fps faster than the drenalin which is a plus. I would have bought one if it werent for the great deal i got on my current bow. But if i were you i would wait another month until november when all the bow companies come out with their new bows and then you could shoot all of them plus the current year models and find one that you like the best.

PY Antlers 10-08-2010 06:19 PM

Z7 is a very smooth bow, I think you would be impressed. I like it a little bit better than my Drenalin but I think I will wait for the next new model and upgrade and no not the Safari....lol

eerdog 10-08-2010 06:34 PM

I have a buddy that has a Z7 and it is depressing to me when we shoot. I have a Reflex Rampage and it is a kids bow compared to that thing. I have never shot it but shot beside him a lot. Fast, flat and quiet! Too much money for me, but definitely as a spectator seems to be a good bow.

Jeffro_17 10-08-2010 06:46 PM

I got my Z7 last week and I'm more than happy with it. I was gonna wait for the new ones to come out, but I called to see how much they were. I found a dealer that had one for $700, which is a deal from some of the prices that I have seen. I couldn't wait, I had to jump on that, it was over $100 less than the other dealers that were within 2hrs of me. It is so sweet to shoot, I love it.

brightmix 10-08-2010 06:56 PM

I like being naked and running through the streets streaming...the Martians are coming, the Martians are coming!!!!

um...or was that just a dream?

....nevermind.

LKNCHOPPERS 10-09-2010 09:16 AM

I thought the Z7 had a nice draw cycle and was smooth. I did not care for the balance and "Top Heavy" feeling of the Z7 or the way it torqued in my hand. I wanted to like that bow so bad and buy one, but it just didn't fit me. I'm not saying it is a bad bow, it just didn't work for me and neither did the Maxxis. I really liked the Maxxis, the grip was excellent but my grip hand index finger kept getting whacked by my fletching when I shot. It seems that the grip to berger hole distance on that bow is less than what I'm used to. All are great bows if they fit you, and your grip style, but I'm not about to change what works for me to fit a bow. Check them all out, and shoot them a lot before you buy. A couple shots from an untuned bow doesn't work for me when I'm making a decision. Shoot your arrows if that is what you will be using, and shoot through paper and a chronograph too if possible. Good Luck