Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
New hunting bow for next year.... >

New hunting bow for next year....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New hunting bow for next year....

Old 10-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default New hunting bow for next year....

This fall after bow season i'm buying a bow to upgrade from my 2 year old pse stinger. I'm looking for something with a good bit of speed. You guys have any suggestions. I'm left handed so the chances of shooting one before i buy it is slim. I have about a 700 price tag for bare bow. I am really thinking of buying a somewhat longer bow as i miss my old hoyt's 35 inch ATA. It just feels better to me. So far i am looking at the pse bow madness xl, and i'm also very interested in the martin firecat tr2 and the ryteras. I would be all right with a bow that had an ata of atleast 31.5. What do you all shoot? Any input would be appreciated. I would just like to hear your expierences trying and shooting some of these newer bows, as i really can't try many of them before i buy them and don't wanna miss out on something great. I want a bow thats somewhere in the middle. You know, between smoking fast and forgiving. Both would be awesome.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Spike

I just started shooting a Hoyt Alphamax 32 this year and really like it. For me it's the right combo of quiet and speed. I haven't shot much else though since I'm a lefty too. The draw on it is fairly smooth, and at 70 lbs it doesn't seem any harder to draw or hold at full draw than my older bow set at 60 lbs. It's pretty accurate too.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

My bow is not new either, its about 3 years old, but works good for me. There are ALLOT of higher priced bows out there that are very fast. PSE is making some fast bows. I think most of the new high end bows are all very forgiving. I would love to have a new PSE. But being disabled, money is limited. PSE is all ever use to shoot. But when I was looking for a new bow, I couldn't afford them, so I had to settle for what I have now. I'm recovering AGAIN, from another surgery for my back, and still hoping to get out there on opening day this year on the 16th... I'm a lefty also, and your right, being able to test shoot one before you buy it is not likely. Most shops do carry much in stock for us lefty's. If you like the PSE you have now, then I would get another. IMO, if your paying $700 plus for a bow, the chances you wont like it are slim, no matter what the name is... Just my opinion...
Old 10-08-2010, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

With your $700 price range, you will be able to do very well. With the way bow companies are releasing new products these days, you ought to be able to pick up a new bow from the previous model year. I just bought a Maxxis 35 for next season, and i'm itching to get that sucker set up. There really isn't a "bad" bow out there these days, but i'm a believer in a little longer ATA and also a brace height of at least 6.5" for a hunting rig.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:35 AM
Spike

i shoot an 09 bowtech admiral and i love it.. it slings an arrow at plenty of speed (imo) and its whisper quiet and feels good in my hand. ive always liked bowtech, but like others have said, everyone is making some sweet bows these days. ive never shot one but id say that the new matthews z7 is a shooterr for sure, and its nasty fast.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys. I have some thinking to do. I'll pick a good one i hope. Being left handed sorta stinks.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Fork Horn

well first of all ive never been a fan or liked any bow that bowtech has ever came out with period...but the destroyer that they came out with is probably one of the fastest, smoothest, quietest shooting, easy drawing bows i have ever shot. Its a really good bow and i dont know anybody that doesent like it so you should definitely check them out.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been thinking of doing the same thing. I am still shooting an 04 Hoyt ViperTec. I like the looks of the Maxis 35. I think I am going to have to try that out.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Fork Horn

i would go for the Quest Primal unless youre bent on a single cam then the Quest heat. my roommate got the primal last month and its pretty sweet...very well put together.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you can go for another $100 you should be able to get a Destroyer. They are a good shooting fast bow.