HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Need help..... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/331370-need-help.html)

bt4264 10-07-2010 03:18 AM

Need help.....

I have been shooting my bow, but not getting consistent results. I have shot a bow for years, not a newbie. My bow is 2 years old, bought it new.
One day I go out and can keep 2" groups on the bullseye from 20 yards. But the last 2 days, I am hitting 4" to 8" to the right. I have not done anything different with my bow or arrows. I am shooting the Rage practice tips.
I did notice on a couple of shots yesterday, I could hear the arrow flight much more pronounced.
Like a "FFFFTTTTT Thump" It almost sounded like it was wobbling in flight or flying at an angle or something. I have a Hostage rest with the "brush" that the arrow rests on. I can't tell that the arrow is NOT coming off the bow clean, but I can't quite figure this out.
Anyone have any suggestions......even the obvious...
With the inconsistencies right now, I can't hunt with it til I get this straight.
Thanks

Maryland_Whitetail 10-07-2010 03:57 AM

Get new arrows maybe?

ModestBuck 10-07-2010 04:04 AM

Sounds like maybe your nock or rest has moved. I would take my bow to the shop and have all the alignments checked.

UncleNorby 10-07-2010 04:04 AM

If it is an intermitent problem I really don't know. Form and grip are usually the cause of problems like this. Then, check all the obvious things like rest position, fletch clearance, tiller, cam lean, cam timing, axle to axle length, etc. If the strings/cables have stretched the bow may be out of tune.

Don't know if you have done this, but verify your centershot by walk back tuning with field points, then broadhead tune.

bt4264 10-07-2010 04:20 AM

Don't know if you have done this, but verify your centershot by walk back tuning with field points, then broadhead tune.[/QUOTE]

By this you mean, shoot up close and walk back shooting to see if the shot placement moves sideways as I move back???
Broadhead tune......Is this papertuning?
Thanks

UncleNorby 10-07-2010 07:54 AM

You have the right idea on walkback tuning. Start at say 20 with your 20 yd pin and then shoot at 30, 40 etc., all with the 20 yd pin. Your arrows should fall in a vertical line. If they fall down and to the left, move your rest in. If they fall down and to the right, move the rest out. We're tlaking 1/16" or less per adjustment. Once they do fall vertically, broadhead tune.

Shoot a broadhead or two, then a field point or two at 20 yds. If the BHs impact left of your FPs, move the rest in very slightly. Do the opposite for BHs impactinr right of FPs. Same goes for BHs impacting higher or lower than FPs. If the BHs are higher than FPs, lower rest or raise knock, etc.

Once BHs are impacting the same as FPs you may need to reset your pins.

fishtaconc 10-07-2010 08:25 AM

You can use some lipstick on the fletchings and see if there is any contact. As other stated check all tuning measurements, you may let someone else shoot it and see if its the same just to cover all bases. My $.02 you can keep the change.

pelletmaker 10-08-2010 11:57 AM

Check and make sure your arrows are true if none of the above seem to be working for ya.