Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How to grip your bow >

How to grip your bow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How to grip your bow

Old 10-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default How to grip your bow

Ok folks this may have and I'm sure it did come up before so I'm going to poke you for some info. What is the best way to hold or grip your bow? I've been working on my form but the biggest issue I see is the handling of your bow. After many hours of shooting what works for me is letting the bow rest in the palm of my hand without gripping with my whole hand or thumb and fore finger. I leave my hand completely open the whole time and I can hold a tight group. I found that gripping the bow caused me to torque the bow and I would have a wild arrow. Don't need that while hunting. So how does everyone grip your bow?
Old 10-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Fork Horn

I grip my bow the same way as you for the same reason.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes that is the proper way to hold the bow. And for anyone who doesn't do that start learning it will only make you better.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

I changed my grip slightly this year. I still cradle the bow in the V of my hand and leave the thumb unengaged, but I now rest my three middle fingers on the outside of the bow handle. I like this change because it makes the bow feel more secure, but it does not introduce any tourque.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah doesn't matter how you position your fingers as long as the muscles in your hand are relaxed. Typically a relaxed hand will kind of form a circle and give you that security of holding it but your not. Alot of people who do open hand force their fingers outward. When I'm showing people to do it for the first time I ask them to (without the bow in hand) hold their hand like they are shooting and wiggle their fingers and then let their fingers and all their hand muscles go limp. Your hand will naturally form a half circle with ur thumb. Then I have them do it when they get their bow back.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:38 PM
Typical Buck

Yep, I craddle it in the V of my hand no grip involved
Old 10-06-2010, 04:31 AM
Fork Horn

cradle in the V and keep my pointer finger and thumb together around the neck. i have long fingers so my fingers arent actually touching the grip, just around it.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Fork Horn

I center it in the lifeline? (longest line running down my hand) and keep a loose grip with my fingers.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

I do the same as you, Let your bow grip rest in the center of your hand between your thumb and first finger and push forward ever so slightly while shooting" you can also sight in using a shoot through paper target to see if you are tourqing your bow at all.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:22 AM
Spike

i shot closed grip the last few years. and this year i realized how much more likely it is to torque the bow that way. so i shoot open now. at first it felt wierd but now its natural and the groups are getting tighter and tighter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.