Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
tips for drawing without spooking? >

tips for drawing without spooking?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

tips for drawing without spooking?

Old 10-04-2010, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default tips for drawing without spooking?

Last year i had a deer come in about 15 yards away but stayed broadside to me the whole time he walked by, finally i had to draw because he was getting far, but he saw me pull back and ran... How do you guys draw on a deer that is not looking away?
Old 10-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Bartender

When i cant see the deer eyes is usually a good time to draw for me.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wait til he goes behind a tree or is at least walking. Deer look straight ahead while they're walking.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

First and formost have a bow that you can draw with Ease!! I have seen alot of guys try to be like superman and pull 75# and will be able to pull the bow back but have to go through this 30 second ruetine to pull it back..IMO you should be able to put your arm straight out and pull straight back..The tighter the form the less movement you make..My 2 cents!
Old 10-05-2010, 04:06 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BOWHUNTER818 View Post
First and formost have a bow that you can draw with Ease!! I have seen alot of guys try to be like superman and pull 75# and will be able to pull the bow back but have to go through this 30 second ruetine to pull it back..IMO you should be able to put your arm straight out and pull straight back..The tighter the form the less movement you make..My 2 cents!
Great advice. Another thing that I do is choose stands where the shooting lanes have a couple of large trees near them. This way, I'm fairly confident that the deer will have to walk behind a tree or some brush before entering my lane. This gives me an opportunity to draw on them before they actually enter the lane. You can't predict with 100% ahead of time where the deer will walk, but if you can tip the odds in your favor.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:12 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with BOWHUNTER, being able to draw straight back with as little movment as possable is key along with no draw noise. Also remember that whatever is in a deers line of sight is in focus including there periphial vision, unlike us.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:32 AM
Typical Buck

What the last 3 posts said. Also, the deer may have trouble seeing you through even small bush branches (although a tree is better cover), so they can cover you somewhat, too, if there is no tree to do it.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt from the ground, so this is important to me to. I try to only draw when i know the deer can't possibly see me. I have never gotten the bow back on a deer that was standing or walking in plain view. It's tough and i spooked 15 deer before i finally whacked one. I was young and dumb, and at first i under-estimated them. NEVER do that. If they can bust you, they will. Good Luck, and don't worry with some practice you will learn what you can and can't get away with. PS. Turkeys are worse, sometimes i wonder if they have x ray vision
Old 10-05-2010, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree about the poundage. They say if you can sit in a chair with your legs straight out in the air and draw your bow, then you are within your draw weight ability. My buddies make fun of me for shooting 53#s but I can draw, stop midway and hold it and finish drawing. They can't. And pass threws aren't a problem, shot clean threw a 300# black bear and buried into the ground.