HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   The post we ALL hate! ---> (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/331200-post-we-all-hate.html)

BIG DONNIE BRASCO 10-04-2010 07:40 PM

The post we ALL hate! --->

Went out Saturday for my first bow hunt of the season, sat in my spot for an hour, then right on cue, a nice 8 point buck strolls up from my left at a distance of 30 yards.
Everything was unfolding perfectly! Just as he was front and center, I took a deep breath, exhaled and drew my bow, then WHACK! My release either malfunctioned or I didn't have it set correctly.
This isn't my first rodeo and at 30 yards I have never had a problem hitting my mark.
My draw, was milliseconds away from my anchor when it surprised me by releasing. I THINK the arrow hit him in the far rear, upper hip.
He bolted, then looked back, and just started walking, then bounded into the woods about 100 yards away.
I looked for 3 HOURS for my arrow and blood and found neither. He was in a hay field that is about 18 inches tall so I can see losing the arrow, but not a single drop of blood.
If it was a hip muscle shot I can see this scenario fitting.

I guess my question is, if this is indeed what happened, what is your best guess as to the outcome for the deer?

I know all we can do is "guess" but I think it will help me get past this unfortunate accident if the general consensus is either "oh yea, slow painful certain death" or "he'll likely be fine, just sore for a few weeks".
Either way I can stop losing sleep over it!

Thanks a lot!

BDB

takedownfreak123 10-04-2010 08:36 PM

Don't give up on him I've heard and seen many deer that have died from a rear leg shot. Best of luck to ya finding him!

ABarOfSoap 10-04-2010 08:40 PM

deer are tough, he will be fine

BIG DONNIE BRASCO 10-04-2010 08:43 PM

Thanks for taking the time to respond fellas!

I won't give up!!

obsessed bowhunter 10-04-2010 11:21 PM

Honestly, I doubt you even hit him, from the way you described that he acted. Your arrow is probably in the field somewhere. Which in my opinion would be the best case senario for what took place. Better luck next time.

V8Ranger 10-05-2010 02:06 AM

Hopefully you got lucky and hit one of the main veins back there. He may not bleed externally. You should have left and not went looking for him or your arrow, done that my self, and just pushed him so far I never found him. Live and learn. Keep a watch out for the crows in the next few days. Where ever they are congregating may be where he is. I doubt the meat will be any good, but it can give you some closure.... I think he will die, just hard to say how long it will be... JMO..

Krypt Keeper 10-05-2010 03:34 AM

I am guessing you missed him completely. Did you have him in your sights while almost at full draw? Normally I am in the general area and takes me about a second to get on target after drawing back.

If you know the exact spot of where he was standing when you shot, you could always go back in with a metal detector and sweep the area for your arrow. If you dont have one ask a few friends or even pick up a cheap kids detector from Walmart or something.

MountainHunter 10-05-2010 06:29 AM

Seems to me, if you hit him in the butt or hip or leg, you should have found some blood somewhere, if it was a significant hit. It's not like an internal organ shot, where the blood can pool inside. If you hit a majot artery in the leg or hip, it should bleed, I think. I would look hard for any blood, then sleep soundly if you don't find any. Oh, and I would check your release thoroughly. That could be dangerous.

jermelott 10-05-2010 07:20 AM

I would bet that he is still alive and will make it just fine. I shot a deer in the front shoulder two years ago, and I am still getting pictures of him, huge scar and all. Last year my buddy shot a big Illinois deer straight through the ribs, but above the lungs, blood everywhere, and the deer lived!!! They saw it several times after that and was getting pictures of it.

BIG DONNIE BRASCO 10-05-2010 11:54 AM

Thank you all VERY much for the thoughtful honest replies!
I was worried I would get slammed for wounding a deer.

For the posters that think I missed, I sure hope you are right, but I swear I heard an impact! He didn't leap up or anything, he just bolted.

I could plainly see the path he took through the hay and I walked it MANY times and never saw a drop of blood!

Thanks again I truly appreciate the input and I will let you all know what happens!

Be safe

BDB