Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
The post we ALL hate! ---> >

The post we ALL hate! --->

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The post we ALL hate! --->

Old 10-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Typical Buck

the only way i would say that he would die, was if you were finding a lot of blood, therefore hitting the artery that runs thru that part of the leg.... but with no blood, it sounds like it;s all muscle.

he should be fine
Old 10-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Typical Buck

hey these things happen. don't beat yourself up over it, even if you did stick him in the rearend. Sometimes things just happen.

a few years back me and my brother shot every day all summer long, opening morning he had a doe come in. while drawing his bow his release came apart and the arrow was sent way over her head. a 1000 shots all summer and it breaks then, so chalk it up to one of those things. good luck findinig him, and or on your next hunt.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:07 AM
Typical Buck

If you did hit him and its a muscle hit he is fine. When he was walking away you should have seen a wound of some kind. Either way things happen and there are very few bowhunters that haven't lost at least on deer for one reason or another. Yea it sucks but it happens. My guess is you will see him again and maybe even get another shot
Old 10-06-2010, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

When the main artery in the rear is cut they will normally bleed out very fast. If he was walking and there was no blood even if it wasnt a pass through after the shot, I would think blood would be working its way out quickly, this is based on seeing numerous hits like this over the past 29 years. Based on what he did after the shot and not finding blood would tell me it isnt a fatal artery hit, but I would still look just in case you hit more forward than you thought etc. It happens man.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

just got a text from my buddy that he just hit a doe in the butt and he hit the main vein and for her piled up a couple hundred yards away so you might have got him
Old 10-06-2010, 10:53 AM
Typical Buck

Yesterday I shot at a nice doe at 30 yards.

heard that familar sound of the arrow hitting the ground. Looked for almost an hour for my arrow and blood just in case my ears failed me.

going back this evening with a metal detector to see if I can find that $20 bill in the shape of carbon and grim reaper.

I am sure the doe is fine, except for having the poop scared of out her. She ran off with her friend about 40 yards and kept blowing at me for a few minutes and they both walked away.

totally my fault as I feel I rushed the shot. Drawed back and held for a while and had to let it back down as she stopped walking to scratch, drawed back again full broad side shot and slapped the release instead of easing into it.

just bought some Thill lights to make some lumenocks also..
Old 10-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by V8Ranger
Hopefully you got lucky and hit one of the main veins back there. He may not bleed externally. You should have left and not went looking for him or your arrow, done that my self, and just pushed him so far I never found him. Live and learn. Keep a watch out for the crows in the next few days. Where ever they are congregating may be where he is. I doubt the meat will be any good, but it can give you some closure.... I think he will die, just hard to say how long it will be... JMO..
This is worse case scenerio. Been there. He's right though. Watch the crows. I hope he is ok. A bucks rack isnt worth much if the meat is no good. Its closure but, it bothers a fellow cause he feels like he killed for nothing. No better than a horn hunting poacher.