HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   hugh drop between field tips and broadheads (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/331148-hugh-drop-between-field-tips-broadheads.html)

corey012778 10-04-2010 08:55 AM

hugh drop between field tips and broadheads

I was doing my final shooting before the start bow season, (in the next week or so). I am still very novice bow hunter.

the arrows where hitting about an inch above the bulls at 15yards. put the broadheads on. any where from an 6in to 2ft drop over 15ft (wtf).
I did shot off an another pin. 5in over bulls. moved one of my other pins between the two I test it with, 1/2in to inch over bulls.

both the field tips and broadheads should of been 100gr.
only have my muzzleloader break ground to go on. but sounds like I ether pick up the wrong weight field tips or broadheads or one of the packages was marked wrong.

gutshot 10-04-2010 09:00 AM

What type of broadhead is it?

SteveBNy 10-04-2010 09:05 AM

Check your nock point - something is wrong.

corey012778 10-04-2010 09:28 AM

carbon express mech. can't remember the model right now. I will post the name later.

as for the other, I know I need some work done on the string, I need to go to an thinner (I know this is not the right term) string wrap, I busted the top half half of it, just because of how tight the arrows are going on the string. took it to an bow smith and the guy just rewrap the from where it broke to where the nock was to just 3mm about. can;t complain he did not charge me anything to fix it. well too much.

Southernsportsman 10-04-2010 11:22 AM

What weight do you use on your bow? If its between 40 and 50 pounds, I might try 75 grain tips; they work for me. But if its more, I would use 100 grains. Too heavy a tip will make them drop bad.

nchawkeye 10-04-2010 01:15 PM

You have to tune your bow to shoot field points and broadheads to the same point...Broadheads exagerate anything that might be just a tad off on a bow...

This involves moving the nocking point and/or the rest to correct...Go to the Easton's arrow website for instructions...

kldad06 10-04-2010 02:08 PM

I highly suggest taking it to a bow shop and having them check nock point and rest. Something is out of tune. No matter shooting fixed or mechanicals, if your bow is tuned correctly, the arrows will hit in the exact same spot. With season opening soon, you need to have it looked at. Hope that helps.

rynigner 10-04-2010 03:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sound like you haven't heard/been told about broadhead tuning before...

Takes a little time but easy to do...

corey012778 10-04-2010 03:52 PM

I will take the bow in to the shop to get the string fixed like it should have been the first time and get them to tune.

I did have the bow shooting 2 inch higher at the same distance with field points, I was hoping for an 2 or 3 in drop but the one I got blow my mind. the first shot with the broadheads, I thought I shot over the target and it went behind.

rynigner 10-04-2010 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by corey012778 (Post 3695336)
I will take the bow in to the shop to get the string fixed like it should have been the first time and get them to tune.

I did have the bow shooting 2 inch higher at the same distance with field points, I was hoping for an 2 or 3 in drop but the one I got blow my mind. the first shot with the broadheads, I thought I shot over the target and it went behind.

A bow shop can tune your bow, and can set your nock height and rest height relatively close... But it's up to you as a hunter to fine tune your rest for shooting broadheads. Which is called broad head tuning. Based on the chart above, you move your rest very small increments. Until you have your broad heads and field points hitting together... After this is done, you will probably need to adjust your gang adjustments on your sight to account for POI difference... If you have had your bow tuned up, I would try this first before going and spending money at a bow shop....