Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
First hang on stand...kinda nervous about it... >

First hang on stand...kinda nervous about it...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First hang on stand...kinda nervous about it...

Old 10-04-2010, 05:02 AM
Fork Horn

I just use my gear for tree climbing - saddle, ropes, prusic & pulleys.
Unless of course I was wise enough to put the climbing stix on the tree as I went up putting the stand in there.
While I don't advocate using dead standing trees (extremely dangerous - trees die and rot from the center core outward), I have spike climbed a couple dead ones to get into a good spot in a live one (nice crotch to sit in a while).
I use electrical tape to silence my gear (loves to rattle), and pull my rope tail up into the tree with me.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:03 AM
Typical Buck

I’m not afraid of heights, but I respect them. Sounds like that maybe where you’re at, too. That’s a healthy kind of respect, if you ask me.

I use Lone Wolf climbing sticks and don’t attach myself to the tree while I’m putting them on, as I feel safer, since there are multiple points of contact, handholds (steps, the tree itself, since I am up against it and facing it), etc. But I am very careful while I strap them onto the tree. And, when I put the 4th (final) one on, I bring the tree strap and attach it, so it’s there to strap myself to while I put up the stand itself. I make sure it is low enough that I can attach to it while I am transferring from stand to climbing stick, which I think is one of the most common places to fall and I am ALWAYS strapped to it when I’m in the stand. Also, I don’t go above about 17 feet or so.

Regarding straps. My Lone Wolf Alpha Assault came with only one strap (I think the new version of it has 2), so I bought some camo ratchet straps and use one at the bottom of the stand. It makes it feel rock-slid to me. I don’t leave stands up, so I don’t have to worry (as much) about rot, etc. as those who leave their stands up all season (or all year). I say do whatever makes sense and makes you feel more secure. When that animal gets into range, you don’t want any unnecessary distracting thoughts about falling.

Good luck!
Old 10-04-2010, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

I highly recommend gorilla hang on stands I have one and I love it it's light weight, has a huge platform, and a large padded seat. It only uses one nylon strap and it is rock solid on the tree. This year I decided to buy 2 more and I bought some cheap 40 dollar ones at rural king which I will never do again they have 2 straps and are still not as solid as my gorilla so I use a rachet strap in the center. They are half the size as well my point is you get what u pay for. Spend the extra 50 bucks next time and get a nice comfortable stand that gives you piece of mind so you feel safe. I know I will. As for a harness I use the hunter safety system harness. I think it's the best out there.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

+1 on the lifeline. I have them on the two hangon stands I use as I feel much like you do. I really am a big fan of ground blinds these days. Stands and blinds both have their advantages and disadvantages. For me, the blind is easy to move and set-up. I understand some guys are lightening quick with moving hang-ons and climbers. Not me, so I use blinds quite a bit to move around. Good luck.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

I ended up getting the Life Line, GREAT tip thank you all!!! I felt really secure with it, I also bought a couple camo ratchet straps from Menard's but the stand itself feels really solid actually so I don't think I'm going to even use them. I want to leave my stand and Life Line in the tree all season, is that a bad idea??? They both say something about taking them down every two weeks?! That would be a big pain I feel like during season.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

Y in the world would you take your stand down and outta the woods every 2 weeks???? Unless it's some kind of state or county law or land owners requirement??? Leave em where they are or move them to another location but never pull them out if you don't have to.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

The manufacturers say that to cover their butts. I would leave it up all season but use common sense. Give that lifeline a firm tug each time before trusting it and climbing up in case a squirrel or other critter decided to have some fun with it. Check the stand each time before you step onto it. I like to use a second ratchet strap just for piece of mind, in case one got chewed threw or gave way.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
The only way to be safe is to have a full body harness on and secured as soon as you leave the ground...

We had a local hunter fall out of a ladder stand last year and get killed...It took 3 days to find him, he was in his 50s and had been an outdoorsman all his life...So don't think it can't happen to you...

The safest stand is a quality climber where you attach yourself to the tree at the base and leave the system on until you return...
+2
Also select the right tree. The bark is the most important asset to climbing successfully. I've slid down many a tree when I first started using one.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

no hangon's, or screw ins in PA public land. Haul in the climber, and haul it back out. I sometimes pre-haul it in the night before. I wait untill after dark to not jeopardize prime time activites enroute to the tree.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Spike

Hi guys I used to climb and trim trees away from the power lines we had a tree climbing harness that we used . We free climbed the tree free handed untill we got to height where we would do our work from and take our climbing rope through it in a crotch above our head and then tie in using a Purssit knot which is two wraps on the top and two on the bottom with a tag end .

The knot is used to go up and down on the rope and you pull the tag end to stop your fall . I have seen where someone tied a rope it the tree where there stand was and then to the ground and had a Purssit knot on the rope and they hooked there safety harness to it while they climbed up the tree that way you are always tied to the rope and can still get up and down without the worry of falling and hitting the ground .. As far as a harness the best money i ever spent was on a Hunters Safety System fits great and i put it on as soon as i leave my truck..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.