Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
First hang on stand...kinda nervous about it... >

First hang on stand...kinda nervous about it...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First hang on stand...kinda nervous about it...

Old 10-03-2010, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default First hang on stand...kinda nervous about it...

I just hung my first hang on stand...$35 from Menard's...It's certified and came with a real nice safety harness (which to me is worth at least the $35...I used screw in tree steps and put it about 18 feet or so up I would say...Being up there kind of makes me nervous though, I'm afraid those two nylon straps that are connected to the tree aren't strong enough...should I put another ratchet strap around the stand for extra safety? I can't really climb with a harness on but once I'm up there I will ALWAYS be connected to the tree.

Up until this point I've only hunted out of ladder stands that I sleep in and can do all sorts of stuff without fear of falling...is this something I'll just get used to? Is there anything I can do to be safer or feel more secure up there?
Old 10-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by natimage
Up until this point I've only hunted out of ladder stands that I sleep in and can do all sorts of stuff without fear of falling...is this something I'll just get used to? Is there anything I can do to be safer or feel more secure up there?
Well, if you have a fear of heights, that's one thing. Have you tethered yourself in with the harness, double checking everything to be sure it's snug and proper?
If another strap makes you feel safer, go for it. If using a heavier truck strap does it for you, go with it.
I have climbed trees for a living, and hanging from a 2" branch up 60' in the air with a jumbled mess of branches below me to "slow" my decent to the ground, so heights don't faze me in the least.
Depending on your stand style, you may want to look at getting a wrap-around arm/rifle rest to give you that psychological security I suspect you're looking for.
Do what you have to do to make yourself feel secure, so you can think about the big deer coming your way and make a good shot on them!
Old 10-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Typical Buck

I agree on using the heavier and stronger ratchet straps if it helps you. I just replaced my straps on my ladder stands. I didn't like them so I bought some heavier and stronger straps to go along with them. Better safe than sorry and makes me feel better knowing its there. Also sounds like your not feeling as secure on the hang on than with the ladder. I admit the ladder stands I have sat it in the past yrs the ones with no shooting rail or side rails always made you feel like your just up there in the open. Used a buddies 2-man a few yrs back and felt like I could prop up my feet and watch TV like sitting in a lazy boy.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

I use what comes with the manufactor, however I do add a extra one but never as tight as the manufactor ones. Its kinda like a reserve parachute.

Some cheaper treestands do have cheap looking straps. It took me a while to get use to Hang ons, but you get use to it after a few times in the stand. USE A HARNESS!!!
Old 10-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

I'm 6'4" and 300lbs.....the running joke thats not a joke in our deer camp (archery and rifle) is we make all our permanent stands "Phil" proof. Extra reinforcement everywhere. When it comes to my portable stands, I ALWAYS put an extra ratchet strap on the bottom portion of the stand to add that extra stability. And after my 2007 13' fall out of a ladder stand (dislocated ankle 90 degrees and fractured fibula) I never ever get into a portable or climber or ladder stand without my Hunter Safety System on. I've been hunting out of all types of stands for many years but I now know that you should never lose respect for heights because they can quickly change your life possibly forever.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

What about getting into the stand? Do you all use some sort of harness system while you climb? Shimmying up with a lineman's belt won't work because I go around branches and it'll get caught on my stand.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:48 PM
Typical Buck

Look at the Life Line.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by sprintflyer
Look at the Life Line.
He is absolutely correct. 40 bucks at Bass Pro or Cabelas. Hook at the top of the tree and tie it to the bottom of it. When you leave the ground you are connect until the time you get back down. You should ALWAYS be connected whenever that foot comes off the ground. I also recommend practicing standing up on your new stand and drawing your bow. I had to get used to mine too. That's what I do. Your life is worth more, way more than 40 dollars.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

The only way to be safe is to have a full body harness on and secured as soon as you leave the ground...

We had a local hunter fall out of a ladder stand last year and get killed...It took 3 days to find him, he was in his 50s and had been an outdoorsman all his life...So don't think it can't happen to you...

The safest stand is a quality climber where you attach yourself to the tree at the base and leave the system on until you return...
Old 10-04-2010, 04:57 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sprintflyer
Look at the Life Line.
+1 Life line is great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.