HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Ughhhh :/ (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/331025-ughhhh.html)

bigwhitetailbuck 10-02-2010 10:31 AM

Ughhhh :/

Well its been a while since I posted on here, but since the season has started again ill probably be posting throughout it.
Opening morning here in Connecticut (Sept 15th) i guess was pretty successful for me even though i didnt shoot any deer.

I was up in my tree at dark. At around 7:00 I started getting stomach cramps I guess from the milk I drank that morning.. At 7:20 it was unbareable and forgot about hunting rule # 1- I forgot my toilet paper :bash: So I got out of my stand and walked about 5 yards and started lettin her rip. As im wiping with natures toilet paper I look back and at about 30 yards here comes this huge buck.. I pull up my pants and try inching over to my stand where my bow was in.. I get to the base and a little twig breaks. The buck looks right at me (At this point only 15 yards) and takes off :mad:
That evening I went to the same stand. 2 does came around at 640. A fawn and her mother, the fawn came almost directly under me and the mom kept her distance at about 40 yards with no shot, eventually they kind of busted me..

The next morning my brother steals my spot but brings a climber 20 yards behind my ladder. Long story short he ended up shooting the giant buck I saw the morning before, which funny thing is ended up being a buck we have video eating apples in our yard about 2 months ago... Our house is about a mile away from where he shot it and on the other side of the road. There was another 8 point with the 10 point he shot and then later in the morning 5 does! Im so surprised with the way the property has been doing this year, last year I only saw 3 the whole entire season!

This morning is the big story.. I didnt see anything while in my stand. I got out at around 9 oclock and start walking home. I get to our "trail" about 500 yards in front of my house ( but on the other side of the road) and i was hoping to jump a deer. I was walking slow and all of a sudden at about 5 yards jumps a doe who must have been bedded. I was able to stop her at about 20 to 25 yards. I released my arrow and could have sworn it reflected off a branch and missed. She casually jogged about 40 yards where she turned around and watched me. I though for sure I missed, so when she took off I started walking towards where she was standing to try and stalk her some more. When I got there was a lot of blood. I gave it about an hour and started tracking. There was blood everywhere, she was leaking really good bright red blood. I though for sure shed be down within 150 yards. I ended up tracking her all the way to my road, which at the time looked like she crossed because there was blood all the way up to the side of the road.. But we could not find any on the other side. I did a big loop and found a pool of blood about 100 yards from last blood by the road. Once again we followed for a while, less and less and less blood every time we found some new blood. Eventually we ended up loosing it. I searched for 4 plus hours so far. Im very dissapointed. Ive shot 3 deer in NY but none in Connecticut until now. Im going to go out again tonight and see if she'll walk by my stand. Im thinking I may have hit her in the brisket or inbetween the brisket and lungs. Not sure.

Brothers buck:

stabnslab_WI 10-02-2010 11:01 AM

Sounds like you tracked her quick and pushed her out of your area. Sounds like a flesh wound. Pushing her is keeping the wound open hence all the blood. I did that in one of my many mistakes. It will close up once she beds. But I don't think its a kill shot. Keep looking and good luck.

bigwhitetailbuck 10-02-2010 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by stabnslab_WI (Post 3693945)
Sounds like you tracked her quick and pushed her out of your area. Sounds like a flesh wound. Pushing her is keeping the wound open hence all the blood. I did that in one of my many mistakes. It will close up once she beds. But I don't think its a kill shot. Keep looking and good luck.

That might be it, but we lost the blood trail. I just did about a 2 hour grid I cant find her.. My mom said she saw a white van with a trailer behind it and a dead deer in the back coming down our road. Im thinking thats my doe, because there is really not to many hunters in this area, and they havent been out to my knowledge this year.

Hunt4Life23 10-02-2010 04:56 PM

hopefully you can find her! if not it happens, just make sure you give it time next time before pushing her around. cant wait to see the pictures of the big buck

bigwhitetailbuck 10-02-2010 05:19 PM

BUMP: Brothers buck pictures are up

HardwoodHunter 10-02-2010 05:52 PM

that's a bummer about your buck man, but your bro got one h*ll of a nice buck there, congrats to him.