Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Intrusion during prime time >

Intrusion during prime time

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Intrusion during prime time

Old 10-01-2010, 04:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default Intrusion during prime time

Quick question for the experts here...

One of my areas is on MFL land (public access, privately owned). I was sitting on the stand last night when the owner happened to come through with one of his kids, checking on his gun season stands. They drove through the property, and got out of the truck several times to look things over. At one point, they had walked to within 100 yards of my tree. When they noticed that I was hunting, they quickly acknowledged my presence and quietly backed out of there. Prior to that, however, they were talking loudly and generally thrashing about.

This was less than an hour before dark, the time when the deer really start moving about on this property.

My question is, if you're in this situation, do you consider the hunt 'busted' for the evening, or is it worthwhile to sit it out and see if anything is still moving? I sat until dark anyway, but didn't see anything...I figured that if anything, they might have pushed some deer about towards me if I was lucky. Just wondering what others do if they're in this situation. Since I hunt public access land fairly frequently, I occasionally have people busting through my area, and I never know with certainty if it's worth staying on that spot, or moving somewhere else (if time permits...last night it was too close to dark to move).
Old 10-01-2010, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

As frustrating as it may be, I think I would just sit tight. An hour of remaining light is a long time, especially this time of year when the movement is generally later.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:32 AM
Fork Horn

It depends on the land and how often they drive on it. If they are on it often the deer are a bit used to the vehicles being there and will be alert when the truck is there, but once it has gone will go right back to their business.

If the land has very little use they may shut down for the evening.

I think you did the right thing. You never know when/where a deer will come thru and prime time is not the time to move.

Mitch
Old 10-01-2010, 06:08 AM
Fork Horn

I had a guy last year coming running through the woods at 430pm after I gave an aggressive rattle. Guess he thought two bucks were sparing at the corner of the field I was sitting. I felt like calling him over, throwing the horns at him and saying, "here put these on and go out 20 or so yards for me."

I remained on stand because in my mind if I got down, I'll most likely spook something in the area. Plus, I don't have enough time to move to a different spot before loosing all shooting light.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:11 AM
Fork Horn

I would sit tight. Hunt is probably over, but you never know. Deer are naturally curious animals and I have seen them come into check out stranger things. Bottom line, for me at least, is I am in the woods on a beautiful night. Why leave?
Old 10-01-2010, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by *twodogs*
I had a guy last year coming running through the woods at 430pm after I gave an aggressive rattle. Guess he thought two bucks were sparing at the corner of the field I was sitting. I felt like calling him over, throwing the horns at him and saying, "here put these on and go out 20 or so yards for me."

I remained on stand because in my mind if I got down, I'll most likely spook something in the area. Plus, I don't have enough time to move to a different spot before loosing all shooting light.
thats hilarious... how do ya call in a redneck....
as fer the thread... it just depends..i have one stand, that when i sit in it, people drive by, it is an access road to the other properties in the area..and when people drive by, the deer will cross the road right behind them....
in another spot, as far as the cam says, the deer wont come back for 3 days after we leave...
Old 10-01-2010, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Kathwacckkk
I would sit tight. Hunt is probably over, but you never know. Deer are naturally curious animals and I have seen them come into check out stranger things. Bottom line, for me at least, is I am in the woods on a beautiful night. Why leave?
Exactly. There was no question last night about staying...no way I was moving that close to dark. I guess my question is would you move if it was earlier in the day (morning or mid-day)?
Old 10-01-2010, 06:38 AM
Typical Buck

I had trespassers ride right under me on their 4-wheeler one time. They were all over the place and they had to have seen me as I am on a tree, in the air, wearing blaze orange. I would be too afraid of getting shot to do that to someone even if I didn't have the courtesy to leave after seeing them. They were trying to drive me out of there I guess. I yelled at them good. I am sure it scared the guy on the back of the four wheeler. The driver seemed to stupid to get it. Never saw them again after that. I am guessing the passenger talked some sense into the driver. I sure wouldn't want a guy with an automatic 30-06 yelling at me!

To answer your question, I would have been discouraged but I would stick around. Never know when deer come out after they hear the threat leave the area.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:26 AM
Fork Horn

I guess I would hold tight either way. The woods seem to have a lot going on anyways. Deer have become accustomed to cars, people, dogs, 4 wheelers, etc... If I had some time to let everything quiet down I would. You hung the stand in a good area, so I would just wait it out for a while.

Now if they started up a chainsaw and started cutting firewood, that may be a different story.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
thats hilarious... how do ya call in a redneck....
as fer the thread... it just depends..i have one stand, that when i sit in it, people drive by, it is an access road to the other properties in the area..and when people drive by, the deer will cross the road right behind them....
in another spot, as far as the cam says, the deer wont come back for 3 days after we leave...
That a farse! My biggest buck to date I jumped walking through some really thick area. After I watched it run off, I sat down and two hours later it came back and bedded down. Its ok to bump deer out of their beds, they will be back

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.