Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
climbing stand help. >

climbing stand help.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

climbing stand help.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Typical Buck

Biggest thing always use a safety harness going up and down I broke my neck 4 yrs ago cause i neglected this. I had a harness on but not while going up and down also make sure top of stand is attached to bottom in case it cuts loose it doesnt fall to the ground Practice b4 you get out there on the opener good luck
Old 10-01-2010, 05:28 PM
Spike

tried it tonight on a tree instead of a pole, it worked ALOT better. still doesnt grip great, but im sure alot of that is my inexpierience. i think im going to use ratchet straps to help hold it like posted earler. now if i can just get my confidence up enough to take it out and get it up to hunting height. lol
Old 10-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Fork Horn

LOL!!!! Define "hunting height"!!!! I have a Summitt Viper SS climber. I'm 6'4" and 300lbs (cld stand to lose a few of those lol). There is no specific "hunting height". I am now comfortable up to about 18-20 feet in the air. But you don't need to be that high to harvest deer or any other big game animal. It's all about knowing your big games patterns and habits, having good concealment, but IMO the most important thing in the world is Scent Control and playing the wind correctly. I've shot deer on the ground without a blind, 10 feet up in my climber, and up to my current comfort level. Being high helps but can also hinder you with incorrect yardage readings and uncomfortablness up there when a shot takes place. Anyways, just some of my thoughts.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Fork Horn

As of now i currently only use ladder stands, but they're such a pain sometimes, so i'm looking at a few climbers before the rut kicks in. How long does it consistantly take you guys to get your climbers to about 20 feet? Thanks!
Old 10-02-2010, 03:48 AM
Fork Horn

Demo-

Take a Dremel and put a sanding bit on it then sand the edges of the teeth, making them a little sharper near the points. I did this last year as the "points" had wore down and the bottom platform wasn't gripping as well as I like. Remember, tree type/bark plays a huge part, smooth bark trees can be problematic, especially when they are wet. I try to avoid climbing younger ash trees when they are wet since their bark is not very thick and still rather smooth.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Doesn't look like it has teeth. Some stands are more difficult to use, I think you have one.

All stands should be practiced with long before you hunt with them. The reason is to figured out how to pack and use them. Climbing a few times especially for someone who hasn't used one is asking for problems. If your stand is one of those that doesn't dig in as well as others it's pron to slip sideways when you shift your weight. You don't want to find that out at full draw. I've been in stands like that, they are not forgiving.

Take some ratchet straps and cinch the top and bottom secure to the tree, they won't move. Make sure the top and bottom are tethered together at all times. Sounds like your base could be pron to taking the day off at the base of the tree leaving you to play shimmy down. Don't loose your head if it does happen. Before it happens figure out how to use the top as a base; becareful it was made to be.

I'm pretty sure your asking for legal trouble climbing a T pole.

You know now why people go on about summits, they are not the best but they do stay put on the tree and are easy to use with a good size base. They grip so well I ground down the teeth some on mine.

Which model is it? Like to see one.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by HardwoodHunter
As of now i currently only use ladder stands, but they're such a pain sometimes, so i'm looking at a few climbers before the rut kicks in. How long does it consistantly take you guys to get your climbers to about 20 feet? Thanks!
Time isn't an issue with me, getting there unheard and unseen are. I often stop and glass for a while.

Getting a routine figured out with the least steps involved is best. Mine goes from back to tree as it would hang with the front of the stand in my stomach to hold it there. I throw the belt around the tree and secure it. It's now attached to the tree like a table still bungee'd together with the top and pack on it. Remove the bungee set the pack down and attach the top. Stand is now ready in just a few steps and I can do it in the dark.

You have to know how things feel. There are times when things on the tree don't allow the stand to set right. If you don't feel it before you put your weight down the stand can torque and serious problems occur. Practice is a must and before you head out in the dark climbing trees you have no idea about.

If your not used to being in the air, get used to it. Been in construction for 30 years. It is very easy to forget where you are and step off. A good way to cement that fear into your head is too climb on a roof and walk backwards toward the edge. Do it and forget the edge is so close and you won't ever step backwards without knowing where you are again. A good way to learn how not to put your weight down without feeling the ground for security is to put some boards with nails in them on the ground and walk around without looking. You'll learn quick.