Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
advice on hunter please!! >

advice on hunter please!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

advice on hunter please!!

Old 09-28-2010, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

Take a video camera and sit in the same tree with him. That way you will be happy and he will get to relive the moment with everyone around him.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:12 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by CJW19
Bow hunting is all about keeping your shots to within your capable range and determining what is a good shot angle and what isn't.
Amen to that...and I don't think there's an age restriction on this. I know a couple of adults that have yet to figure this out!
Old 09-29-2010, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bow hunted alone from my own stand when I was 14, my Dad was on the same piece of land (we had no communication back then) we would meet at a certain time usually just after dark and walk back to the house together. Make sure he has a good flashlight and a good safety harness.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do not have kids, but by the time i was 14 I struck out on my own, mainly because i didn't want to be all that close to people. Maybe ask your son what he would want to do?
Old 09-29-2010, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys. I know he wants his space and I guess he is gonna get it. Was gonna hunt within sight of him but his stand pretty well covers his funnel. I guess I will hunt within a half mile or so a couple times and then move on to where I really wanna hunt. Thanks for the advice and confidence building.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 2 Bowhunting kids-1 boy, 1 girl & they are in their 30s. Sometimes We still SIT together & I have the video camera.
Nothing like sharing the hunt with your kids BUT when they started (son at 14) he sat alone. He knew where I was-I drop him off at stand & he waited until I came to get him.
In our area-we are not over 200-300 yds. apart. One set of stands we can see each other (150 yards).

I hunted years with my brother & 90% of the time we were within 200 yds or less of each other (maybe 30 years).

He's ready Are YOU!!!!!
Old 09-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I started at the age of 13. I hunted alone with my dad always in a stand a few hundred yards away. Killed my 1st deer by myself at 13. Your son is more than ready for the task.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

The power of modern technology...text msg. The most dangerous part is entering and exiting the stand. Have him send you texts when he is doing each.

I'd say he's good to go.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:17 AM
Spike

I forgot to put it in my first message but I killed my first deer at the age of 14. Also with a bow.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

My son killed his first deer at 9 with a bow from a double stand. We hunted out of it until we wouldn't both fit. I then hung a Loc On about 30 yards from him and put him in the old familar ladder stand. I was close enough that I could yell "stop" at any time but never needed to. I think he was 13 the first year we did that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.