Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
advice on hunter please!! >

advice on hunter please!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

advice on hunter please!!

Old 09-28-2010, 10:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default advice on hunter please!!

My son is 14 and has hunted with me since he was 3. Last year he sat alone and stayed on stand all but about an hour of daylight. He killed a few does and a big 9 point. This was with gun and ML. This year he wants to bow hunt. He is a good kid and mature for his age but I worry about him. I bow hunt too and we can communicate by text message. Should I sit within seeing distance or at that age would he be alright alone?? Some of you guys with kids chime in please!!
Old 09-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

To me it depends on the kid and where you hunt. If your son knows the land that your hunting then I would give him some space or if you hunt private land so that you don't have to worry about other people hunting the same area. If your hunting public or unfamiliar land then I would keep a closer eye on him.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

We are on a 34,000 acre lease. All his stands are within a mile of camp and he knows that area pretty good. I grew up hunting it! I think it is time to turn him loose I just need some reassurance. He let close to 100 deer walk last year and to me that shows maturity. You guys with kids how old were they when you gave them this freedom??
Old 09-28-2010, 10:45 AM
Spike

I think this really depends on the maturity but it sounds like he is ready. My 11y/o who is still a little squirrly has proven to be much more mature in the woods than I ever would have thought. He even passed a good buck last year because he couldn't make a clean shot without shooting through some brush. Honestly, I'm more concerned about him not using his harness when in a treestand than any issues with a bow or gun.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Spike

I don't have kids but I will offer this. Bow hunting is all about keeping your shots to within your capable range and determining what is a good shot angle and what isn't. Only you can make the call as to wether he knows what a good shot angle is with a bow. Another question is has he practiced with his bow long enough? Is he a good shot?

Age is not enough to make a determination because I know plenty of grownups who don't practice like they should and can't make an ethical shot on a deer with a bow.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:11 AM
Typical Buck

My son is only 5 but started taking my nephew with me a few yrs ago, he just turned 19.

He had done some hunting but not a lot. I started him on the ground and was close by, and now have him in a stand. I kept an eye on him at a distance, and always told him where I would be. Last yr was the first time we hunted where we knew where each other was but couldn't see each other.

Biggest thing is safety, make sure he is wearing his harness, uses a pull up rope and uses his head. Have a general idea of where you both will be.

Have a set time to make contact with you or to be at camp. Since you are using text messages have him text you that he is sitting later or is done for the day. If he gets lost or off the path to stop walking and to make contact with you.

He sounds mature for his age and makes some great choices from what you said. He has that thanks to you and your teachings. Sooner or later you are going to have let him hunt solo, ask him what his opinion is and give it a try.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

if its worth anything thats when i started out on my own i mean they always new where i was and i had my cell but i hunted alone or with a buddy in a differnt spot
Old 09-28-2010, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

If he is sitting stand alone with a gun, then I see no reason to delay the bow if he knows his effective range and will take shots within it. Is his judge of distance inside 40 good? If so, he's letting deer walk, knows the area and knows to keep in touch. So long as he practices stand safety it sounds like you know the answer to your question.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:44 AM
Typical Buck

Let him go... I started Bowhunting by myself at 13 because i showed maturity and interest according to my dad. All kids are different, my Fiance's brother is 26 and wouldnt leave him home alone, but people are raised differently and he sounds ready to me.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot my first deer with a bow at the age of 14 with a couple of friends about 35 miles away from the nearest adult. I think if he is a good kid there is no worries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.