Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Favorite Mathews?? >

Favorite Mathews??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Favorite Mathews??

Old 09-28-2010, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tealboy
well, good feedback, the Q2 is a litle better than I thought. My impression was that the newer generation bows like the outback and switchback might be meaningfully improved over mine but it doesn't sound like it. Not a lot of folks have owned and shot each of the models which makes it hard to compare, but it sounds like mine is not necessarily inferior to newer models. Since i am happy with it, I'll keep it unless others weigh in to the contrary.
I've shot them all the outback and switchback are hard to beat as hunting bows.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Fork Horn

the outback, switchback and drenalin... the drenalin is my fav out of all of those. it was so smooth and quiet...i sold mine for my new axe 7...i like it but it dont shoot like my drenalin did. only reason why i sold it was to shoot a bow that could put me up in the 300fps range which my drenalin couldnt do...but it was one sweet shooting bow. i wish i still had it.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by tealboy
well, good feedback, the Q2 is a litle better than I thought. My impression was that the newer generation bows like the outback and switchback might be meaningfully improved over mine but it doesn't sound like it. Not a lot of folks have owned and shot each of the models which makes it hard to compare, but it sounds like mine is not necessarily inferior to newer models. Since i am happy with it, I'll keep it unless others weigh in to the contrary.
Q2 and the MQ1 were the top bows of the late 90s early 2000s for sure. I shot the MQ1 for 4 years and wish I never sold it. I will say, I have shot 4 Mathews and the Z7 is by far my favorite, not even close to the others. I went shopping for a new bow this year because I was not really satisfied with my PSE Bow Madness XS. I shot the Z7, the new Hoyts, the Bowtech Destroyer, the Elite bows (z28 and gt500), and all sorts of PSE's over a period of about 2 weeks. I wanted to keep an opened mind about which bow to get (which I think you should too), but in my opinion the Z7 shot better and smoother than all the other bows, hands down. I will say a couple were faster, but I don't give a rats behind about speed. Mine is shooting 292 with a 29" draw, so I am more than happy. I am putting 5 shot groups in a 3" circle at 50 yards with this bow, something I could not do with the PSE Bowmadness XS I had as my last bow.

Honestly, go to your local archery shop and shoot at least 10-15 arrows through each bow in your price range. Pick whichever one fits you best, thats what I did and it's much more fun to shoot now. You may find that you actually shoot the Bowtech or the Hoyt better, so don't be shy about trying something else. I just found that for me, the best bow at the shop this year was the Z7.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:36 AM
Spike

DXT is a nice bow
Old 09-29-2010, 01:30 PM
Spike

I have the MQ1 and have no reason to put it up and get another - it is on every year and all i do is check it real well each year and wax the string every 6 months real well.

I thought about getiing th z7 but again cant find a reason to put the mq1 down.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:51 PM
Fork Horn

I have shot the drenalin... was a nice bow...that said i went looking at all the best bows ..shooting the DXT... no contest ....I bought it on the spot. I have shot the monster and the reazon and this fall i shot the z7 I still like my dxt best ..smoothest draw cycle i have ever shot and compact.The z 7 is really nice but not nice enough to trade up my dxt.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

Very happy with my XLR8 and have no regrets! 336 FPS gets the job done everytime!! Nice to be able to take a 50 yard shot " if I want to" and feel comfortable about it.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

I shot a q2 for eight years, and this year decided to upgrade to the z7....things have definitely changed in 8 yrs. Would never go back....
Old 09-30-2010, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

The original Mathews Switchback is my favorite so far. It's the only one I've owned while shooting all the others each year they come out. I have a hard time dropping over a grand on a bow that doesn't outshoot my Switch. I shoot quarters out to 40 yds like it's going outta style.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm old school. I shoot a FX. Never let me down so why buy another. An FX killed the new WI record! Im sure you could find a used one pretty easy. Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails Favorite Mathews??-recordbuck-300x214.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.