Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Please check your stands!! >

Please check your stands!!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Please check your stands!!

Old 09-27-2010, 10:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default Please check your stands!!

I was hanging a last second set-up today and using an old stand I've had for 10 years or more. I don't remember the brand but it's a good stand and been taken down and stored in a dry barn in the off season. I looked it over but didn't see any problems.

20+ feet up I step over into my stand and POP! A link in the chain snapped! Thank God for a harness! I've seen a few posts about not wearing one this year and never thought about leaving the ground without mine. My 17 year old son was standing at the base of the tree and, after seeing this, I don't think I will have to remind him to wear his either.

It's totaly your choice but the next time you think about climbing, imagine your child, spouse, or parent standing there watching you fall to your death.

It's not all about falling out of a stand. If you have a piece of equipment fail like this YOU WILL FALL. The links looked fine. Pics are on my phone and I'll post them tomorrow after I get back with NEW chains for all our stands.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

WOW, glad your ok. You are right, NEVER!!!!! get into your stands without your harness, NEVER, your family depends on you to come home...
Chain?? my stands are all straps...
Old 09-28-2010, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never thought to check chains - I have only one of that style. Still use a rachet strap on it for back-up though.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great reminder. I went for years not wearing a safety harness, thinking as long as I was careful nothing would happen to me. About three years ago, I was in Gander Mtn. with my wife and she saw an HSS vest. She had been on me for a few years about wearing one. When she saw it, it must have reminded her again about nagging me. She asked me again and I said; "oh, I'll get one some day." She bought it for me right then. Last season, I had two stands break while I was in them. If I hadn't been wearing the safety harness, the outcome could have been quite different. Just goes to show you, you can be as careful as you can be but you can't do anything about equipment failure, which usually occurs without warning.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 09-28-2010, 07:22 AM
Typical Buck

Glad your alright.

I use ladder stands myself. I replaced the rachet straps this yr as the old ones were a few yrs old. Got the stands put up with the new rachet straps and really didn't like them. They were thinner than the other straps yet rated for the same load. Went this past weekend and bought some more straps to use that were more heavy duty looking.

I am sure they would be fine but being thinner I didn't like much. The trees do sway in the wind and don't need the straps rubbing and breaking premature.

If anything I will be more at ease in my mind.

Your right your family expects you to go hunting and come home safe and sound.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

glad you're ok......
Old 09-28-2010, 08:32 AM
Typical Buck

Yikes, glad you are ok, great post for this time of the year, thanks for the reminder!!!
Old 09-28-2010, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

Do you guys harness yourselves to the tree while climbing also? I just climb up to where I'm going to sit and strap on then.

Last edited by crenth; 09-29-2010 at 04:12 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by crenth
Do you guys harness yourselves to the tree while climbing also? I just climb up to wear I'm going to sit and strap on then.
I do what u do, but honestly most people fall in the transition up or down. I'm not even sure how to go up the tree with a harness on...
Old 09-28-2010, 05:06 PM
Spike

Get te Hunter Safety System Lifeline. 40 bucks at Cabelas or Bass Pro. I got one last week and it's the quickest way up and down a tree. Plus, I'm always connected from the moment I leave the ground till the time I get back onto the ground.

F--- Obama

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.