Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Rutting Moon Date >

Rutting Moon Date

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rutting Moon Date

Old 09-27-2010, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rutting Moon Date

I just read that the rutting moon is November 21st this year. That seems awful late.

My area (Maryland) really never changes much as far as stage times. Usually around mid to late October there is the most action (bucks chasing albeit not the hammers yet). I wonder if that will be impacted by the date of this moon.

My thought is it won't. I feel the temps and period of daylight are much stronger variables in what causes the phases to execute.

Thoughts?
Old 09-27-2010, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

I was looking at that as well and noticed how late the second full moon of the fall was. or it will be early since the full moon actually fell on the first full day of fall. Either way you can pretty much bet it will be around the same time as it always is but it is fun to journal and document your findings for the years to come.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since this full moon (currently) was quite early, it does seem like the "official" rutting moon would fall on the 11/21 date, but i'm going to go with a more traditional rut date this year (first week of Nov.) Partly because I think 11/21 is just too late, and partly beause i'm off the that first week.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wish it would happen in the middle of October, like the 16th, when our season starts......
Old 09-27-2010, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've watched the "rutting moon" dates for years and it doesn't seem to correspond to what I'm seeing (I'm in MD too). The first couple weeks of November are consistently best around these parts -- if the weather cooperates. With a few exceptions, most years we get hit with yet another "unusually warm" spell right when things should be best.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with yooperMike, I have tracked the rut for the past 7 years in my part of ohio, and have found that it comes in generally speaking at the same time every year, no matter what the moon phase is. Plan your mid-west hunts for the weekend of Nov. 6th. Then Anchor point, Aim low, Drop the string!!
Old 09-27-2010, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

Rutting moon...... my thoughts ... i have taken many a vacation trying to hit the rut ... rutting moon ... I will be honest i think i missed more peak buck action by 10 days or so because of the rutting moon . I try to take my vacation a week or two before because bucks seem to move more and chase... Where as hitting the rutting moon .. the bucks are in lock down with a hot doe and they will run her all night long moving only a little mid day. I have talked with many hunters that think the same and had a few discussions with Charlie Alsheimer on the subject with him concurring with my observations.For what its worth.Oh just so we understand .... I am in western NY.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

So it sounds like my thoughts are validated. I as well have tried to pay attention to the "rutting moon" dates and thought it may play a major role with when it's best to be out in the woods. Problem is, like I said before, the other variables play a much bigger role in when the action is the hottest i.e. weather and shorter days. My definition of when the action is hot hence the best time to be out in the woods I guess depends on what you are after.

If you after a true hammer then besides scouting, you have to wait until the chasing has been going on for awhile by the younger bucks who go about the rut in a very juvenile manner. Usually after that I see the big boys finally getting out there and showing themselves. Personally, I like to be out there when the numbers are at their highest in reference to chasing. That for me has been in the latter part of October.

Don't get me wrong, I have seen big bucks then as well, but their numbers are better in November. Therefore, I will be focusing my bowhunting time on latter October rather than paying attention to the rutting moon.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:23 AM
Spike

Default Rut moon

I read an article by Charles Alsheimer and he stated that this rut /moon is similar to 1997 and 2005 that it will be late in November. So here in Md. with our late rifle season it should be close. I know that last year the buck I shot was still in full rut and hanging with four does ( his mistake). We will see, it seems that the first 2 weeks have been prime for years maybe we will have a great month of action!!
Old 09-28-2010, 06:55 AM
Fork Horn

I have read a few books over the summer to better my bow hunting techniques and they both said to disregard the moon. They say that the weather and the length of daylight have a lot more to do with the rut. They do admit that they usually see more movement from 10 A.M. to 2 P.M. though. But they usually always hunt all day so the moon doesn't really change much for them. Just my view on it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.