Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Rage vs. shoot thru netting >

Rage vs. shoot thru netting

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rage vs. shoot thru netting

Old 09-27-2010, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't do it. The blades deploy too easy. I wouldn't trust them to stay in place every time.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok, well we did it, 3 different broad heads..12 shots...results are interesting.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

i may be mistaken but im pretty sure on the rage website they show them shooting through shoot thru mesh windows
Old 09-27-2010, 08:43 PM
Fork Horn

Doesn't seem like the best ideal.. I would pratice it first to make sure you can make a good shot. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if it made me miss a buck of a lifetime
Old 09-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Primitive Weapon
Over the years I've related blood trails to shot placement. I've always imagined a "lateral line" dividing the upper and lower half of the deer.

In my experience, pass-throughs placed below that line have a good blood trail.....shots above sometimes don't. All of the deer I stuck last year bled like a pig and never went over 40-50 yds.

However, the year before, I had a shot a little high (still got the tops of both lungs) but there was MUCH less blood. So much less that I started doubting my shot.

When I recovered the doe, entrance and exit wounds were as expected.......she just didn't bleed externally alot. Body cavity was full of blood when I dressed her out.

Granted, there are exceptions to everything.
VERY VERY accurate post, which has been my lifes experience as well...

If you put it low and right in the shoulder pocket with pretty much any broadhead, simply put, you will have blood, and likely the deer will be within 60yds... Ive shot 6 deer since 08 and only one has gotten further than that and it was simply because I made a bad judgement call, which resulted in a less than desired impact location. Deer still bled like crazy, just not a short recovery.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by takedownfreak123
Doesn't seem like the best ideal.. I would pratice it first to make sure you can make a good shot. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if it made me miss a buck of a lifetime
I shot a couple thru the netting and I didn't hear the "click" of the blades deploying. I guess a better test would be to shoot thru a paper tuner set just outside the blind. it would show if the blades were deployed by the netting or not.

My feeling is though the rage does not punch a big enough hole to allow the vanes to pass through freely.....assuming the blades do not deploy of course.

EDIT: I use 4" duravanes.

Last edited by Primitive Weapon; 09-28-2010 at 08:26 AM.