HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Will grunting this early scare deer? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/330478-will-grunting-early-scare-deer.html)

phil_pick 09-23-2010 06:39 PM

Will grunting this early scare deer?

Hey guys. I am up in southern WI and I hunt a tree line between two huge soybean fields. Twice this past week I kicked up a dear walking the tree line on my way back to the car just after dark. I am wondering if using a grunt or a "call can" would help get them close faster or would it scare them off? If they are on their way in I dont want to spook them but I need them to get a move on.

obsessed bowhunter 09-23-2010 07:21 PM

I have never experienced a grunt spooking a deer. I have had alot of luck with grunts over the past few years and would not hesitate to use one at any time of the year. The buck in my pic was grunted in. As long as you don't get too carried away. The only luck I have had with a "can" is bringing in some smaller bucks, not to say they don't work. That's just all I have called in so far.

blakefrautschi 09-23-2010 07:24 PM

its possible it could scare them, but just the other day i was out in southern wisconsin and a group of 3 fawns and 2 does came it to the corn in front of me, the fawn was going crazy so the "tell it to stop" the doe made a grunt.... yes it grunted... pretty loud, so i dont think it would scare them but i dont think it would call them in as much, if anything a fawn distress call could help bring them in quicker, or scare them... thats the tricky part about early season is that what may attract deer may also scare them away...

hope that helps, i would probably not call, maybe if you arent seeing anything a fawn bleat.

itsslow98 09-23-2010 08:03 PM

Could work, could scare them. SOme deer are just very curious. My friend used a fawn in distress call last year while on his 4 wheeler to see what happened and they almost 2 huge does almost freight trained him they came running so fast. I think thats a good early call.

Wingbone 09-24-2010 04:01 AM

I've never been able to scare a deer away with a grunt call. I even played taps on a grunt call one time on some does just to see what they'd do. No responce. Grunt away.

V8Ranger 09-24-2010 04:18 AM

Every place is different. What works in one area, might not work in another. It all depends on what mood the deer are in. If your not grunting now and your not getting anything to come by. It cant hurt to try.

*twodogs* 09-24-2010 06:15 AM

I have had better success rattling in the early part of the season than grunting. Then again, I turned a buck running with others using a grunt call early in the season, he ended up in the freezer. I don't use it much during the early season because I am observing their patterns more than anything. As it gets closer to the rut, that's when I start grunting.

Seems like if it's a noise they are familiar with, they will often investigate is my experience.

MountainHunter 09-24-2010 08:51 AM

I think what the others have said about different places/sitations having different results with calling is true. This is just a theory, but I think that if deer are being heavily pressured, then they tend to be quieter (except maybe during the rut), so may be more cautious about responding to grunts. Just a theory, though.

3tail 09-24-2010 10:48 AM

I dont think it will scare them because deer are social animals and that is part of how they communicate . I think they do it almost daily .

NEBRbruiser 09-24-2010 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by phil_pick (Post 3688495)
Hey guys. I am up in southern WI and I hunt a tree line between two huge soybean fields. Twice this past week I kicked up a dear walking the tree line on my way back to the car just after dark. I am wondering if using a grunt or a "call can" would help get them close faster or would it scare them off? If they are on their way in I dont want to spook them but I need them to get a move on.

Move your stand closer to your car to catch them before dark. Better off not calling then basically letting the deer know something is not quite like normal.