HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   TO deer decoy or NOT.... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/330336-deer-decoy-not.html)

FROGGER2 09-22-2010 08:59 AM

TO deer decoy or NOT....

I just recently purchased the scarface deer decoy. I have never used a decoy but read alot. (like most of you, probably)

My question, who has used them and what were the deer reactions to them?

Im a HUGE waterfowl hunter and use decoys. Ive learned where to place, how many decoys, to or not to use robo's, jerk/pull/pump etc...etc...Every set-up is different but when right ducks fall.

Is there a right way to use deer decoys from HUNTER experience, not magazine articles.....

stikbow26 09-22-2010 12:39 PM

I love useing my scareface... Like the articles say angle it towards you because a buck will always approach a decoy head on. One of the tricks I have been useing for a couple years now is to only use 1 antler on your decoy it doesn't freak out the smaller bucks and the big boys will still want to kick his butt..

V8Ranger 09-22-2010 01:15 PM

I took my MacKenzie ( my 3-D target ) out with me last year. I had a small buck fallow me out to where I was sitting on the ground. I think he was very confused. He saw me carrying it and set it up and I walked away. After I walked away from it, he just stood there looking at it, staying about 50 yards away. He then left and made a big circle around the front of me, staying about 200 yards out. He then came back from behind it and came in to about 40 from me. He was so focused on that MacKenzie he never even saw me sitting on the ground. I let him walk. He needed a few more years to grow. But someone else ended up shooting him... It was to bad, he had good potential.

MBmadness 09-22-2010 05:01 PM

I am starting to wounder if i should be hunting with a doe decoy . I hope a few more people chime in on this . I like to use the stuff i buy for hunting . I hate wasteing money . Good luck this season

CLOUD 9, MN 09-22-2010 07:41 PM

I think they should dfinetly be part of your hunting tactic arsenal. I wouldn't hunt with it all the time. I have hunted for about 33 years and I have had a decoy for about 5 years. I hunt wikt it probably 5 or 6 days a season. The 2 most memorable hunts I've ever had have come with the decoy. I use a Flambeau Redi doe. I think they have the best coloring and very realistic. They are more brown, the color deer are when they get their winter coat, so of the others are more red like deers summer coat. Buck or doe.....I don't know.... I just know I have really good success lots of shot opportunities on does and bucks, even had the decoy mounted twice and had it rammed and flung 20 feet by a huge buck. If you hunt the same area most of the time, the deer will figure it out, usually the mature does. Thats why I suggest not hunting all the time with it. I was thinking about getting the Flambeau Buck for this season and mix it up a bit.

Good Luck!

FROGGER2 09-24-2010 06:05 AM

From the response and from what Im hearing, they WORK. Setting a sleeping decoy on a trail or some where not natural and not de-scenting is the two main reasons for not working. Like putting a diver set out and decoying for puddlers. Not going to work right.

Movement is a big clue, sets deer at ease. Right? Decoying ducks, on smooth water with man made ripples, DEADLY. I guess that will go for a deer? Anybody, have experience wathing a deer tense until the head or tail moves?

The decoy in the same place for the same deer is great advice, they will wise up.

Any more tips?

FROGGER2 09-29-2010 09:31 AM

Tail-wagger, any one have this on the decoy? If so, is it worth buying or just put T/P on the tail?

shawneeslinger 09-29-2010 11:03 AM

I dont use a decoy often, but the best success I've ever had was just after the bachelor groups break up. Deer werent too hard to fool but my thought is that decoys work more because of curiosity than a dominance thing. just my experience.